Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Still crazy after all these beers Mac Daddy Racing's Avatar

Torn ACL and MCL, ouch!!

I was playing soccer with the kids a few weeks ago and fell like a rock. Had an MRI done (sounds like a dozen jack-hammers in there). Got word from the radialogist that I have a completly torn ACL and MCL in the right knee. Anyone on here ever had the surgury to repair these? If so, was it 12 months before you were back up to speed? Can a brace hold the leg together for action sport like Downhill skiing or snowmobile racing. I would rather wait till late winter early spring as the seadoo will still be sleeping at that time.

+1
    get it repaired asap. as soon as the surgeon is ready to operate, get it done.
    when you have torn ligaments/instability nothing good happens to the knee while waiting for the surgery. A brace can never do the job of the ligaments.
    I waited too long and paid the price
    MCL heals pretty well on its own, the ACL will never be the same without surgery. The ACL surgery is very beneficial, but you are going to be out of commission for a long while. The good news is your ACL will be stronger than ever when fully recovered

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy Racing View Post
    I was playing soccer with the kids a few weeks ago and fell like a rock. Had an MRI done (sounds like a dozen jack-hammers in there). Got word from the radialogist that I have a completly torn ACL and MCL in the right knee. Anyone on here ever had the surgury to repair these? If so, was it 12 months before you were back up to speed? Can a brace hold the leg together for action sport like Downhill skiing or snowmobile racing. I would rather wait till late winter early spring as the seadoo will still be sleeping at that time.
    I haven't had any ACL/MCL problems but my dad has had both knees done and it wasn't 12 months until he was back and yes you can brace for sports(he tore both knees snow skiing and still skis today) I don't know how long until heavy activity but dad was on his feet working in less than a month

Back to work in a timely manner is huge, can't take the pay cut!!!!

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy Racing View Post
    Back to work in a timely manner is huge, can't take the pay cut!!!!
    Dad runs a CNC mill so there isn't alot of physical activity at work so what you are doing may take longer, but most of his down time was around letting the incisions heal.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Blew out a ACL years ago,Went 3 years before having it done,No Insurance. Of course over that time was limited to non Crazy stuff. My Quads of course got smaller from no activity.After surgury I was fishing and hunting 2 weeks later with a brace. I never babied my rehab,We didn't even go to it, Just did everything I'd been doing but with the brace. They will want to do a Cadaver Ligiment,The recover with them is next to nothing,as you don't have to have the piece of tendon that they cut out of you to make the ACL out of heal up.

Prepare to get fat!

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    You can get by without them. Your body will compensate but you will always have a "trick" Knee. Braces help but you have to get the high end ones. I blew both my knees out. Football got the left knee 19 yrs ago and softball got the right knee 3 yrs ago. I where a brace and still play softball, jet ski, etc. Surgery is the best route if you can afford it and surgery on both will put you out of commission 3-4 weeks and 3-6 months rehab.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I have both these braces. Depends on the level of activity I am performing. Both made by Donjoy. The cloth one is $250 and the custom fit was $1000.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	playmaker_pattella-donut-275.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	96322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thumbnail.aspx.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	96323  

I have a Depuy Orthotech brace now, $1575.00 for the unit custom made and fitted. They are also making a Heavy Duty unit to use till spring. I hope to get the films from the radiologist on Friday and see what the mess looks like. As for the cadaver donner, they said the ligament from the lower leg would work better in my case. Guess the unit I have is larger than normal (hehe).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information