Front cylinder running hot

94 Polaris 750SL. Checked the cylinder temps in the driveway with flush kit running. The cylinder toward the front of the boat is running much hotter than the other 2. The front one got up to 130F while the center and rear were running around 100F. What should I check first?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    You might wanna re-check the temps while its in the water, but I don't think those temps are a problem. While on the hose, the mag will be a little warmer than the others.

+1
    Yes on the hose the water flows in reverse and the Mag will get Hot..

Update

I pulled the water rail to make sure nothing was blocking the flow. Seemed okay. I did pull the spark plug and look down the hole. It appears that the beginning stages of the "hole in piston" have started. I can see a perfectly round ring on the top of the piston, right where the spark plug sits. It just looks a little scored though. This is caused by a lean condition right?-front piston. Can I ride it some more until the piston actually gets a hole?? or does that push the "motor grenade" issue? I've replaced a piston on this model ski before, but would like to get a few more rides in before it gets cold. Then I can make the piston replacement the winter project.... just don't want the winter project to become more than that! I guess I'll go ahead and rebulid the carbs while I'm at it this winter.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    If you are about to burn a hole, I'd park it till i got it right. If you risk it, you run the chance of screwing the crank w/ shrapnel from the piston in the bearings. Is it worth it? I say not.

Took it out on the water to test the temps. They were much closer and stayer between 100-110F. While flushing it after the ride, I noticed the front mag wasn't getting as hot and stayed around 105F. Not sure what that was all about this morning with that front mag getting so much hotter than the others. maybe some grass was caught in there and flushed out when I actually had the ski in the water????

Had some issues with the carb /fuel delivery and will start another thread for that.

Yeah, I'll park it after today since it seems like I need to rebuild the carbs anyway. I'll order a new piston while I'm at it. Thanks guys!

Thread Information