750 Carb question

I kept it between 4800-5200RPM and everything was fine. I did NOT give it wide open throttle as I haven't rebuilt the carbs yet. When I went over 5200RPM or 42MPH and kept it steady with the throttle, I noticed it would start to loose power (bogging) If I backed off the throttle it would stop. Seems like a fuel delivery problem?? When it happened at first, I thought I lost the front cyliner!

The power came back once I pumped the throttle a bit though. Does this sound more like a dirty carb, tunning issue, or fuel pump???

I have also not installed the tripple outlet fuel pump yet! I'm parking the ski till I get this figured out. I looked down the spark plug holes and the front piston looks like the hole has started. It has a perfect circle indent right where the spark plug sits. Should I be using the BR7's or 8's for spark plugs?

Looks like I'll need to order 1 piston for the front, 3 diaphragms for the carbs, and install the tripple outlet fuel pump. Any other suggestions??

+1
    Sounds like you have it nailed down. Clean the carbs go thru the entire fuel system from tank pickup to fuel selector to carb screens. all the info is in the tech section.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris 750SL View Post
    I kept it between 4800-5200RPM and everything was fine. I did NOT give it wide open throttle as I haven't rebuilt the carbs yet. When I went over 5200RPM or 42MPH and kept it steady with the throttle, I noticed it would start to loose power (bogging) If I backed off the throttle it would stop. Seems like a fuel delivery problem?? When it happened at first, I thought I lost the front cyliner!

The power came back once I pumped the throttle a bit though. Does this sound more like a dirty carb, tunning issue, or fuel pump???

I have also not installed the tripple outlet fuel pump yet! I'm parking the ski till I get this figured out. I looked down the spark plug holes and the front piston looks like the hole has started. It has a perfect circle indent right where the spark plug sits. Should I be using the BR7's or 8's for spark plugs?

Looks like I'll need to order 1 piston for the front, 3 diaphragms for the carbs, and install the tripple outlet fuel pump. Any other suggestions??
    Certainly sounds like fuel delivery issues be it carbs or fuel pump. Or both.
    The front cylinder being lean is typical of a fuel pump issue. Not delivering enough fuel for all 3 carbs. I'd clean the carbs, and get the triple pump. Then I'd go through the rest of the fuel system. Check and clean the fuel filter, and check the gas cock. If I had grey fuel lines (Tempo brand), they would be replaced. They cause a green gunk to clog things when the inside of the lines start to break down.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'd say all new fuel hoses. (about $20 to replace) Be sure to look for the in line restrictor in the return hose and re-install it.

Consider new needles and seats for the carbs as well as new springs.

Thread Information