Fouled spark plugs on 96 SL700

I have a 96 SL700 Polaris 2 cycle PWC that I had purchased at the beginning of this summer and was running in good condition. Recently I had noticed that it appeared to be running at half power when I layed into the throttle half way in and was only running at about half speed.

I decided to check the spark plugs and noticed that the first cylinder had a fouled spark plug but the other one was fine. So I replaced both spark plugs and took it out to the lake today. It seemed to run much better (about 95% power) for about 25 minutes and then I lost power. It was back down to half speed, but this time it seemed to make a strange noise from the engine..almost like a ratteling noise. I took it home and pulled both spark plugs and noticed they both were soaked in oil.

Does anyone know why it would foul the spark plugs like this so much? The gas and oil injections are seperate and i'm wondering if it is running too rich at high speed causing the plugs to foul.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

well KC,
    im not all that much of a pro with pwc's, i havent even seen much about this problem...
    but i would also think that your running too rich,
    but im not sure with what..gas or oil?
    anyway, u said that ur ski has seperate oil and gas tanks right.
    maybe try adjusting the oil intake at the oil pump in front of the engine.
    but i am not sure if u can do this cuz ive never had to.
    but see it that helps. and try starting a thread/post in the "how to and faqs" section.
    ive had more luck with help in there

good luck with ur ski

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSL700Polaris View Post
    I have a 96 SL700 Polaris 2 cycle PWC that I had purchased at the beginning of this summer and was running in good condition. Recently I had noticed that it appeared to be running at half power when I layed into the throttle half way in and was only running at about half speed.

I decided to check the spark plugs and noticed that the first cylinder had a fouled spark plug but the other one was fine. So I replaced both spark plugs and took it out to the lake today. It seemed to run much better (about 95% power) for about 25 minutes and then I lost power. It was back down to half speed, but this time it seemed to make a strange noise from the engine..almost like a ratteling noise. I took it home and pulled both spark plugs and noticed they both were soaked in oil.

Does anyone know why it would foul the spark plugs like this so much? The gas and oil injections are seperate and i'm wondering if it is running too rich at high speed causing the plugs to foul.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
    WELCOME TO THE HULK
    can we get a compression check?
    maybe some pics of the plugs--and boat 2
    make sure the oil pump linkage to the carbs is connected--if it pops off the oil pump goes to full oil......just a shot
    welcome ,,have fun and enjoy
    mattman

Thread Information