Thread: pump shimming

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

pump shimming

i know the ultra 150 guys do this and that it makes huge differences in their skis and mph,so i guess the goal is to get the clearance around .008 to .012,anybody ever set up a polaris that close???does impros build up that edge on a prop??my pro runs the prop up in the shoe so maybe a custom prop and then file it to fit the shoe??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    i know the ultra 150 guys do this and that it makes huge differences in their skis and mph,so i guess the goal is to get the clearance around .008 to .012,anybody ever set up a polaris that close???does impros build up that edge on a prop??my pro runs the prop up in the shoe so maybe a custom prop and then file it to fit the shoe??

Yes Impros will make your clearance tighter when Randy has his props done he has them add 10,000 thousenths SP to them to make them tighter in the spacer .

+1
    I don't know about the Ultra 150, but the older Kawi standups had a tapered "mixed flow" pump, so you could shim the impeller in or out to make up clearance.

But the general consensus was that those pumps weren't as efficient at top speed as the even older axial pumps from the 440s.

Didn't know anybody had a way to make up clearance for a Polaris! Interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    Yes Impros will make your clearance tighter when Randy has his props done he has them add 10,000 thousenths SP to them to make them tighter in the spacer .
    wow, 10,000 thousandths? thats 10 inches..?? so they basically just tig it then re-machine to .010" bigger in dia. than the stock prop?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    What type of gains in speed do they get?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FLjoyrider View Post
    wow, 10,000 thousandths? thats 10 inches..?? so they basically just tig it then re-machine to .010" bigger in dia. than the stock prop?

Yes .010 i guess , they do just tig it and regrind it and then balanance it this way you have way tighter clearance and less cavatation and better preformance all the way around .

Smile

It makes big difference the impeller clearance,I have noticed that all new aftermarket impellers were slightly oversize,especially the solas,we used to use the 650 kawa stainless impellers in the 750 xi race boats when they first came out ,before 750 were available, we also would get them as close to vanes as possible,much better top end plus holeshot.jmho>Marvin

Thread Information