Flashing Hour Meter

I have a 1997 GTX. One has a flashing hour meter with "---". Any ideas?

Thanks
    Gary

You can try to reset the hour meter. I'm not sure if it is supposed to show the engine hours or if it's just meant to remind you of service intervals. If anyone else knows...is it possible that it's only there to input the hours before doing service? Such as a new engine...coud you punch in say 30 hours and it shows you that the 30 hours break-in period is over? But here's what the manual says about resetting...and they don't mention that the hour meter can't be reset.

RESET
    To reset a function such as the chronometer, peak speed, trip meter, ect., select the desired function using the MODE button then press and hold the SET button for 2 seconds.

I saw this a couple of times. I replaced the MPEM without doing the proceedure and the hours on the meter are more than the mpem. Ifthe mpem is replaced by the dealer the hours and serial numbers will be put in the new mpem. Or if its used put in the info meter from the other ski

+1
    I have the same problem with my 1998 GTX RFI. I will try to reset it tonight.

+1
    had this happen to a friends ski. we both had 97gtx's and after swapping mpems, info gauges to trouble shoot, we found that the compass was no good. don't ask me why, just the way it was.

fyi, the hours from the ski are in the info gauge, not the mpem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    had this happen to a friends ski. we both had 97gtx's and after swapping mpems, info gauges to trouble shoot, we found that the compass was no good. don't ask me why, just the way it was.

fyi, the hours from the ski are in the info gauge, not the mpem.
    Where is the cumpass? Did you just replace it then it worked?

+1
    it is a little box under the hood. you need to remove the black plastic cover to get at it. it was a couple of years ago, but if memory serves correct, it did work once we replaced it. he was also having issues with the tach reading crazy numbers all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    it is a little box under the hood. you need to remove the black plastic cover to get at it. it was a couple of years ago, but if memory serves correct, it did work once we replaced it. he was also having issues with the tach reading crazy numbers all the time.
    look up the pin numbers for the wires for tach input and check the pins at the mpem. Green pins need to be replaced and pins in the mpem need to be cleaned being careful not to bend them they can break off

+1
    I had the same problem. I unplugged the compass but then my analog gauges didn't work and all this other weird crap...I thnk I plugged the compass back in so I have analog gauges, no digital ones now and my hours still flash ---- oh well. Ski runs like a champ tho.

Quote Originally Posted by kocomo View Post
    I have a 1997 GTX. One has a flashing hour meter with "---". Any ideas?

Thanks
    Gary
    Hello gary mate, really interested to see whether or not you sorted your problem.......?

I have exactly the same problem on exactly the same Ski.....Well my one anyway....

Before I go buying a Compass I would like to know whether you tried it and did it work ?

Thanks man.......

Thread Information