Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 95 xp caviating

+1

95 xp caviating

my 95 xp is caviating real bad anytime you get on the gas unless you get on it real slow.

do i need to just start sealing every place i can find that air could get in like around the ride plate or could something else be wrong?

it also looks like it has a scoup grate on it but i cant tell. will have to get pics of it tomorrow.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    my 95 xp is caviating real bad anytime you get on the gas unless you get on it real slow.

do i need to just start sealing every place i can find that air could get in like around the ride plate or could something else be wrong?

it also looks like it has a scoup grate on it but i cant tell. will have to get pics of it tomorrow.
    What condition are you prop and wear ring in? That is your most likely problem area. Next would be the driveshaft through hull seal.

If the impeller has been messed around with or something was picked up and hammered off of the blades they may have or accquired too much pitch. To high of a pitch will not have enough surface contact with the water and it will cavitate.

+1
    from what i can see of the impeller, without removing the pump, its in great shape. nice straight edges, no dings, dents, scratches or damage that i can see.

how can i check that wear ring?

one more thing i have noticed, when running on the trailor, there is kinda a rattle sound that comes from the pump area at idle. if you give it gas it goes away and is also not there in the water. i dont know if it is normal or not since i have a low idle on it (1500).

heres pics of the grate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1909.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	96560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1910.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	964.7 KB 
ID:	96561  

Looks like part of the shoe (or sealant)is missing and whats up with that long ass bolt?

Yeah dude it looks like you're missing a huge amount of ride plate there. I don't think there should be that much driveshaft showing. Wear ring clearance will make cavitation too...here's what my wear ring looked like when it was totally worn out. Notice the clearance between the impeller edges and the wear ring walls. It should be very minimal compared to mine. But that ride plate of yours really looks like it's missing a heck of a whole lot. I'll try to get you pics of what mine looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02388.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	96722  

+1
    good eye on that bolt. Never would have seen that. It doesn't seem like any of the ride plate is missing to me but this is all new to me. How do I check the wear ring?

Check out the pic...if you see a ton of light around the outter most edges of the impeller, then most likely the wear ring needs replacing. There is supposed to be very minimal clearance between that point of the impeller and the wear ring. I think it's somewhere in the neighbourhood of 0.020" clearance.

+1
    oh yeah, theres about 1/8" of clearence there. you fit a good size flat head between the two. compared to my 98 xpl its huge. so i am gona go ahead and assume the wear ring is to blame.

so, how hard is it to replace? what will i need to do the job? oil? tools? parts? what is the average price of a new wear ring? and lastly, where is the best/cheapest place to get a new one?

thanks
    chris

I changed mine this summer...first one ever actually and it took me about a half an hour...maybe 45 minutes. All I did was use a prybar and a long bolt going through the bearings to act as a leverage point. You do need to be carefull though not to touch the walls of where the ring inserts into. But mine worked out of there with no problems.

You don't need anything special for tools or oil but an excellent tip I found on here and it was well worth doing...put the new ring in the freezer while you remove the old one. It makes the install of the new one go in very nice and quickly. I paid about 50 bucks for the new ring so I would assume it's going to be the same anywhere you look.

I don't know if I have any pics of doing the job...pretty sure I don't actually so it is very hard to describe exactly how I did it. I'll do what I can though to get something for you. I really don't think you'll have a hard time doing it though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information