Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sc clutch gone at 14 hours?!

i just installed my riva blow off valve on saterday. took it out saterday night to make sure everything is good..it ran great..69.4.

sunday we went down to the shore, it was a little choppy so i really didnt push it. today (at the shore still) ride for a little bit then it happened. no sc whine, couldnt get it passed 6200 rpm, didnt pull like before. took it home, pulled the bov off put the stock elbow back on..same result.

i have no doubt that its the sc clutch but my question is how can a clutch go at 14 hours. did i abuse it too much? my personal opinion is that i pushed it too hard down the shore. i attemped a couple speed runs in a little chop, i know i got airborn a few times. or could it be that i do too many bunny hops out of the hole (put the trim up, stand on the back, and gun it)? couldnt be the blow off valve becuase i put one on my dads rxt and he had no problems.

im gonna call around a few shops tommorow morning and see how long the wait is for service. ......this blows

+1
    I don't think you pushed it too hard. It's just something that happens sometimes. My stock clutch lasted 70+ hours before it slipped.

but 14 hours??? i mean, i hope its just some freak occurance cause 14 hours is pretty rediculous.

i called a bunch of dealers this morning.. the wait ranges from 1 week to 2 months. how do i make sure the dealer knows what they're doing.

+1
    Pull your supercharger off and send it to PPG. They usually get to them right away.

+1
    Definitely take it off yourself and send to PPG...even if you were to ship conservatively you'll get it back sooner than a local shop can doo it and you're assured it will be done right.

the issue with that is..its under warranty..only has 14 hours on it. not to mention i have no mechanical background what-so-ever.i would probably screw it up more if i tried to do it myself.

+1
    Just be prepared and know this, I am dealing with this exact situation only im @ 64 hours, If you do remove the SC and the clutches are GONE, be prepared to leave it with a dealer, problem with that is, you may have to instal everything back and play dumb when you take it in to them!They probably wont respond in a cool way if its apart, unless you deal with PPG, im having to drive 4.5 hrs to be confident that mine will be repaired correctly!

When the cluch does goes out does it always fall apart and down into the motor??? I was telling Jerry this weekend that I was able to remove my hose feeding into the SC and turn it with some the SC impeller with little efford. I dont know if this would be some good sevice advice to RXP and RXT owners, but Pull the inlet pipe and fomr time to time mabey every 20 hours o so test the cluch and see if you can trun it with your hand like i did with mine. According to Jerry you should not beable to do that so that mean the cluch is starting to slip and when they start slipping that mean they are going to fail so. I do have 77 hours on my stock SC impeller and Jerry confirend that it was probly on it's way out very soon. I took my ski to the dealer today, it is going to need a new computer (3 days) and while they have it wating on the computer I will have them pull the SC and I will ship it down to PPG for the SC up grade. O yea thanks Jerry for the pipe.

+1
    If you can turn the SC impeller with your hand, your clutch is either gone or close to it. That means the shaft is spinning very easily. You might be able to pull it and put in a shim, but I would think that would be just a temporary fix. But we are all new to these clutches. Periodic maintenance might be the right idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information