Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Oil Tank Kit Weber Engine

Are you guys/gals installing the oil tank upgrade kits?
    They were going to update the units in 05, worth taking a peak.
    I don't know the number for the kit but I'm willing to bet Randy at Watcon has them.

O.K.

You got my attention.

What are we talking about here? Is this pertinent to my MSX 150?

+1
    they come apart inside

+1
    You have my attention as well. I noticed a rattle in mine. What effect does this have on the operation? Is it not just a cooled storage tank?
    What is loose baffles?So many questions. I did want to dissasemble mine but did not want to damage it. It seems to work(it holds oil)
    Please spill the beans

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    You have my attention as well. I noticed a rattle in mine. What effect does this have on the operation? Is it not just a cooled storage tank?
    What is loose baffles?So many questions. I did want to dissasemble mine but did not want to damage it. It seems to work(it holds oil)
    Please spill the beans

Cheers
    I saw somewhere that the baffel can work loose...and the oil can foam, and be ingested into the intake tract. This can cause the same problems as overfilling the oil....

I am going to see where I saw this, and paste what I find.

P.S. My question is: did Polaris cover this in a bulletin? And, did Polaris do a recall....

Here is the whole post, that includes the oil baffle issue:

"New here but not the PWC's. I am a tech at a Polaris and Yamaha dealership.
    The MSX is a great craft when they run properly, as stated above the hull is great in chop and handling. These crafts do have problems. The most reoccuring problems i run into are the following;

1. Overboost condition- This is caused by exactly what the problem is called, overboost. From the factory the turbo in the 150 pushes about 16 psi and the 110 has 11 psi. This does throw a check engine light and will occur when wave jumping and stabbing the throttle while having no load on the impeller. Another way this occurs is when flushing the craft. Whenever running MSX's out of water run them in reverse so the limiter is engaged. The limiter will limit the motor to 3400 RPM's and will not allow full boost. The negitive effect of overboost is when this occurs 80% of the time gets into the intake track and wipes out the sensors and will cause a noticable drop of performance.

2. Too much oil- MSX's should only be filled up to the low mark on the dip stick. Too much oil in the expanstion tank and you will end up with oil in the intake track.

3. Disloged baffel in the expansion tank- There is an anti-foaming baffel in the oil expansion tank that WILL come disloged at some point in the crafts life. Once disloged the oil will splash and foam allowing it to get into the intake track and once again, causing headaches. An easy way to tell if your craft's oil tank has been fixed is to look at the oil/cooling lines going into the tank itself. A fixed tank will usually have hose clamps instead of the factory CV clamps.

4. Intake ETB boot dislodged, tear or wear- The Electronic Throttle Body (ETB) sits on a rubber intake boot that is hose clamped to intake manifold. The section of the boot that is hose clamped is thin and if the hose clamp is over torqued it can rip the boot. Also when an overboost condition occurs it can and may pop the ETB and ETB boot off of the intake manifold.

I have not looked at the link site above and i am sure they touch on these topics. These are the biggest issue and most common i see on the MSX's but are not the only ones. I am a die hard polaris man and stand by their product so do not think i am talking down the MSX. It is a great ski when it runs properly but they do have their fair share of problems. Make sure your dealer has worked on MSX's prior and knows the craft and has Polaris Digital wrench.

If you have any questions on these crafts or jet skis in general feel free."

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Road View Post
    3. Dislodged baffle in the expansion tank
    - There is an anti-foaming baffle in the oil expansion tank that WILL come dislodged at some point in the craft's life. Once dislodged the oil will splash and foam allowing it to get into the intake track and once again, causing headaches.
    An easy way to tell if your craft's oil tank has been fixed is to look at the oil/cooling lines going into the tank itself. A fixed tank will usually have hose clamps instead of the factory CV clamps.
    Any info on what the Weber oil expansion tank baffle fix actual entails, or what you could do to repair your own?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Any info on what the Weber oil expansion tank baffle fix actual entails, or what you could do to repair your own?
    I would think it is a 2 piece sealed tank,mated by a folded seam,I can look at the one that came out of the 150 hull. Again my guess is it could be disected and the baffle tack welded were it's at if it didn't break lose yet,or reposition and then tacked,then the tank would have to be welded or brazed back closed. Of course this is going from what I think I remember seeing.
    If it hadn't broke lose yet,might be able to drill thru tank and the baffle(if there's a lip holding it inside)then just welding up the holes.

Here is the parts page for the oil tank.

The screen (part no. 21) can be ordered...so the tank can be serviced.

It appears that the tank seperates, and there is a large S.S. strap (part no. 11).

I would like to know just how the dealer made sure that the screen was secured...the title of this thread clearly suggests that there is an update "kit"!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oil tank parts page.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	652.9 KB 
ID:	97184  

Is this update oil tank kit out there and if so does randy have it? Anyone know how much it is?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information