Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cavitation = Carbon ring ??

more boost and higher RPM's causing some cavitation off the line. Seems as if the carbon ring is not holding up anymore. What else can be the reason for my cavitaion ??

+1
    Cabon seal, prop or wear ring or broken sharks teeth....

If its the carbon seal you can go with a RAD 4 floating bearing instead of the carbon seal..Its a little more maintinance that a carbon seal but should help with some of the cavitation..

Prop??If its out of wack or to small then your gonna get cavitation

Wear ring???Everybody knows this one..If not then yes a bworn out or damaged wear ring will most definatly give you cavitation...

Sharks teeth??If the are damaged then they could and will give you some cavitation due to the amount of damage..

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    you can go with a RAD 4 floating bearing instead of the carbon seal..Its a little more maintinance that a carbon seal but should help with some of the cavitation..
    I'm thinking about getting the Rad4 seal. Care to elaborate on that statement? Thanks Scott.

+1
    Rex on the RAD 4 you just have to make sure they are greased or you will tear up the seals..If im not mistaking they recomend them to be greased every 10 hours or so..Were as a carbon seal you dont have to do chit to..Thats all..

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Rex on the RAD 4 you just have to make sure they are greased or you will tear up the seals..If im not mistaking they recomend them to be greased every 10 hours or so..Were as a carbon seal you dont have to do chit to..Thats all..
    Its not that bad, just grease it up after a weekend of use(just like the old school skis)

The driveshaft must be machined-down a millimeter for it to work. I'm going to get one, as soon as my carbon ring is shot.

Thought so. And I believe there is a grease zirk (sp?) on it so you don't have to pull the driveshaft every time it needs greasing correct? I have no issue with greasing something every few hours. It's quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    The driveshaft must be machined-down a millimeter for it to work. I'm going to get one, as soon as my carbon ring is shot.
    I'm getting one asap next spring. To hell with this carbon seal. I wouldn't wait if I were you. It's not fun when it blows and ruins your weekend unless you have spare seals laying around.

Reason why I'm leaning towards the carbon seal is because it has never cavitated in the past. And now that I increased boost and rpm's is when I'm getting it. I think the carbon seals do a great job for stock up to a stage 2. After that I just think the design is not meant for more.

+1
    I have been having problems with my carbon seal too....I guess when I took off the propeller shaft...the seal didnt sit right in and I had a ton of air and water coming in the boat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information