Question Stock Intercooler Removal

I am going to use the Fizzle Intercooler kit soon. I have read several posts alluding to removal of the stock intercooler and some sort of gaskets or seals to remove so they don't get sucked into the motor and cause major damage.

Obviously, I want to ensure that I do this right. Fizzle's instructions are very good, but I would love to get the following to help my confidence in doing this right:

1) what tricks / tips can I learn from folks when installing this kit
    2) what specific stock intercooler removal components must I remove (the gaskets, etc) to be sure I don't screw up my ski?

Going into my 2005 RXP.

Thanks in advance!

+1

Wink

Well as far as getting the stock ic out i would 1st undo the V clamp that holds the IC into the manifold and remove the 2 water hoses. Then undo the 7 torx screws that hold the intake manifold onto the head. I think i had to undo a plug and cut a couple of tie wraps that hold some of the wires. You can then tilt the intake manifold up and slide the ic out. Some say that it can be taken out with the manifold in place but i couldnt doit. The gaskets that people talk of are 2 large rubber O rings that are on the stock ic thay basicaly seal it at either end. When i took mine out both remained on the ic but some have had the rear gasket fall off and stay in the manifold. Its easy to check tho if the maniflod is off of the head bcz you will be able to see inside. When you come to install the block off use plenty of silicon on the face that goes into the manifold. This will ensure it seals properly. Then the kit will install as per Fizzles instuctions im sure. Hope that helps R88

Banned User
    +1
    No need to unbolt the manifold...On an RXP, undo the 2 water lines, then the clamp...THEN open the hood, remove the storage bin, reach in, grab the brass water lines on the IC....TWIST and PULL...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    No need to unbolt the manifold...On an RXP, undo the 2 water lines, then the clamp...THEN open the hood, remove the storage bin, reach in, grab the brass water lines on the IC....TWIST and PULL...

in addition to Dannys instructions ............ IF u cant twist the cooler in the manifold then stick a screw driver between the brass lines and GENTLY get it to twist ...........once it will twist in the intake u can do as stated above to finish removal with no problem ......it just needs to be broke loose first IMO to make it a bit easier! the only other thing is make sure u have TWO seals when its all out or one is still in the intake mani! good luck!

As always, thanks a lot to the experienced guys. You all are great and gracious to share your knowledge.

thanks,
    Heath

My removed my stock IC last month. I did not need to remove the manifold and the IC came out with no problems. The rubber seal at the end was still connected so I didn't need to look for it inside the manifold. Very simple. Good Luck.

+1
    God only knows what i was doing wrong i couldnt get it out lol. Oh wel got there in the end. Good luck with your install you will love the improvement. R88

Thread Information