+1

98 GSX Limited electrical problem

I have a 98 GSX Limited with an electrical problem, and I'd appreciate any help getting me in the right direction. When you put the key on the DESS post I may or may not get my two beeps. However I do get the gauges on the dash, plus the ski starts and runs fine- beeps or no beeps. After a few moments or perhaps a few minutes it blows the 15 amp fuse in the MPEM and dies. Install a new fuse and you're back to step one- starts and runs a short period of time then blows the fuse again. My first guess is the MPEM, but i wonder about the stator or even the DESS post . I'd appreciate any input you guys can give me......thanks!

Stator. You can remove the 3 yellow wires from the plug connected to the cover and run the ski it wont charge but if the problem is the Stator it wont blow the fuse.. The beep problem could just be the connection for the beeper

+1

More Info

Thanks for your input Pest. Here's what else I've done since my last post. Tested output of stator at battery.....12.69 volts not running, 14.24 with engine running, so presume stator is performing ok. Pulled buzzer out from under handlebar pad and sure enough, it was bad {worked if you tapped it} so I replaced it and now have 100% function. Pulled stator cover off and cleaned inside. A few metal shavings but not many. There was quite a few stuck on the pick-up magnet, so i was sure to remove all of those. Reassembled and ran on the hose for about an half hour and all was well. Will take to the lake in a day or two and see what happens.

Great but it can still be shorted internaly but it sounds like you dodged the bullet..

Thread Information