Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Man who hit toddler on watercraft commits suicide

UPDATE: Man who hit toddler on watercraft commits suicide

September 29, 2008 05:35:00 PM
    By Rob Young/Appeal-Democrat

The tragic death of a 3-year-old boy in an August personal watercraft accident has been compounded by the suicide of the man charged with killing him.
    Allan John Minkema, 50, was scheduled to be arraigned Monday morning in Sutter County Superior Court on a felony charge of vehicular manslaughter involving the Polaris watercraft.
    He was found dead Sunday in the city of Pleasanton, according to the Alameda County Coroner's Office.
    Pleasanton Police Officer Mike Wilson said a jogger noticed Minkema's body alongside a trail about 2:45 p.m. Minkema had a single gunshot wound to the head and a .357 Magnum revolver in his right hand. One bullet had been fired.
    Minkema, of Yuba City, had been staying with a nephew and the nephew's grandfather in Pleasanton, said Wilson.
    Minkema and John William Blanchard, also of Yuba City, were arrested in the Aug. 16 death of Dominique Lee Williams of Marysville at Mosquito Beach on the Feather River.
    Sutter County Assistant District Attorney Fred Schroeder said he was informed early Monday morning by the Alameda County Sheriff's Office that Minkema's death was a suicide.
    Minkema faced a maximum sentence of four years in prison. He was represented by Yuba City attorney Matthew R. Beauchamp.
    "Obviously the Minkema family would ask that their privacy be respected at this time of grief," Beauchamp said.
    Dominque's mother, Amber Chapman, and aunt, Theresa Logan, did not immediately return phone calls.
    Minkema's blood alcohol level was measured at 0.16 after the accident, twice the legal limit for driving a car. Blanchard, 63, had no alcohol in his system.
    A few days after the accident, a Sutter County Sheriff's Department official said both men had their hands on the steering handlebar of the craft when it hit the toddler.
    Schroeder said he does not anticipate Blanchard being charged with a felony but that he could still be charged with a misdemeanor or infraction.
    Minkema and Blanchard were trying to beach the craft when it hit the toddler, who was standing in about a foot of water.
    Contact Appeal-Democrat reporter Rob Young at 749-4710 or at [email protected].

Local News: UPDATE: Man who hit toddler on watercraft commits suicide | watercraft, minkema, hit : Appeal-Democrat

WOW! I thought 4 years max was a joke for a BUI death , but Not sure what to think about the mans resolve to this ?? I almost want to think it's commendable?

+1

My 2 cents

It is terrible that a young child died because of some dumb drunk asses on a ski. You don't ride close to kids, period. It is sad he killed himself, I would probable do the same knowing I killed a kid. But if they were not drinking it may have been different. The only good that came out of this is it saved the tax payers money(which is extremely shallow). Hopefully the parents of the child get what ever is left behind. My heart goes out to the parents and family of the child. I hope that all you dumb asses think before you drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned User
    +1
    That accident happened in the town where I grew up. I used to jetski right where it happened.

What's really sad is that the guy was looking at a maximum penalty of only 4 years. And, his blood alcohol limit was .16.......

He'd be broke for the rest of his life after the civil case was over.

id feel so horable, which makes that not a bad idea.

+1
    Not being familiar with all the town names in all fifty states, could someone enlighten me as to where this happened (state). Thanks.

Banned User
    +1
    Google map Yuba City, CA. Find the Feather River. Go south from the south bridge, which is called Bridge street. Past the island about 1/2 mile you will see a sandbar on the west side, this is called Moquito beach.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...5,0.03253&z=16

This is where I used to jet ski, and was my home town.

+1
    A very sad story, indeed. However, commiting suicide doesn't bring the child back.

I would rather have seen him spend his remaining years going to schools and talking about the consequences of his actions. Perhaps he could have prevented someone from causing a similar accident in the future.

OR, he could have moved to Massachusetts and run to replace Ted Kennedy in the Senate. Sorry...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoovermaneuver View Post
    I always think before I drink!!!!!! Duh. It is after I drink that thinking becomes a problem.

Hoover how about being a smart A$$ somewhere else. You have no cooth for this topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information