Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

12-F and 15-F problems

I have a 2004 12-F and a friend of mine has an 05 15-F but the problem is the same. when trying to initially start the skis it takes a very long time. Both of them run very well on the water after the initial start and will start well after running. both have full battery which makes me suspect that the fuel is to blame. so if you all have any advise for a cure I would be very grateful.

Sean

+1
    You guys must buy your fuel at the same place??? That sounds like a fuel problem to me... or maybe water in fuel. Is there any gas stations in your town that have regular gas with NO ethenol? I hope no farmers read this but Ethenol is just about the stupidest idea anyone on two legs ever came up with. Bad for your engine and loves to saok up water.

There are 2 stations in my town that have signs out by the road and on the pumps that say NO ETHENOL so look the that.

It's funny because those two stations also have the least expensive gas in town by 10 cents lol

+1
    Nope he lives on the lake and I live on the other side of town. I never get gas from on the water, just because its way more expensive. I may try running a little bit of seafoam through them and see how that goes. i was thinking about popping the plugs and squirting a little bit in the cyllnders. Both skis have new KAW correct NGKs

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    the problem is the same. when trying to initially start the skis it takes a very long time.
    So you are saying hard starting when cold, right?
    How about after the engine is warmed up or when hot, does it restart easier?

+1
    yeah just cold starts on both skis. and its only the initial start for the day its really odd.

Sean

I've noticed the same issue with my 2004 12F. It take about 5-6 seconds of constant starter to kick over. I have 70 hours on mine. It did seem to improve some when I installed new plugs but after 10 hours or so I'm back to the same issue.

+1
    might try cleaning the throttle body. with that kind of hours on it the throttle bodies could have carbon built up. If there is water in the gas use the seafoam . if its trash in the fuel drain as much as possible and install a new filter

+1
    since its a long start then this procedure should be no worse on fouling plugs than your current one:

- Bump the starter two seconds. wait 5 secs while the fuel mist mixes with O2... and now hit the starter.. i think it will start right up. I used to have to do this for cold starting my throttle body nissan.

- if that doesn't work, then Hold the throttle half open and try to start..shouldn't have to but its not getting enough fuel cold so it will work. I do this with my honda and never fouled plugs yet. As soon as it tries to start, nail it and it'll choke down and die. Wait 5 secs and Hit the starter again and it'll fire up and run smooth as silk i bet.

edit: changed because i remembered my nissan more accurately..been a while since i sold it..great friggin little 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    yeah just cold starts on both skis. and its only the initial start for the day
    I would check TPS return voltage reading and set it to the upper side of the spec.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    I would check TPS return voltage reading and set it to the upper side of the spec.
    that's a better way, of course. How do you adjust voltage of the tps?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information