Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Mccains "grizzly bear" issue

You guys can make your own opinion this...

Im sure you all heard Mccain crying about gov spending. He used this study on Grizzlies as an example in his first debate.

This is a letter making its way around the colleges regarding the gov. funding of Grizzly bears written by someone who is supposed to be a reputable source.

Hey All,

Thought I would forward this around. Interesting bit about John McCain and how little he knows about grizzly bears.

The particular bear DNA study that John McCain has been complaining about for months is the Northern Divide Grizzly Bear Project run by the USGS out of West Glacier, Montana. Katherine Kendall is the PI, and she has done a fantastic job.
    This study is remarkable, both in its scope and accomplishments. A few weeks ago they released a final population count, showing that there are 765 grizzly bears in the Northern Continental Divide Ecosystem (NCDE, covering Glacier National Park, the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex, and some nearby areas). This is 2.5 times as many as previously thought. Ironically, these results will likely lead to fewer restrictions on natural resource extraction in the area, since the bears are doing so much better than was believed. For McCain's idiotic 'Drill, Baby, Drill' crowd, this study will certainly pay for itself many times over in the increased drilling/mining opportunities afforded.The study team also collected a great deal of black bear fur, which they do not currently have any plans to analyze, at least as of April when I talked to Kate about this (no funding). I think they mostly looked solely at identifying
    individual grizzly bears with the DNA samples, so this could just be the start of years of fascinating research for anyone else that wants to use this basic dataset. Kate Kendall has run a groundbreaking study in the face of ridiculous national derision, and she ought to be applauded.

The webpage for the study is
    here.
    http://www.nrmsc.usgs.gov/research/NCDEbeardna.htm

I highly recommend checking out the site, especially some of the video captured

by the remote cameras. I think the one of the wolf interacting with a bear with
    cubs is particularly fascinating.

That's my two cents.

Jeff

Jeff Jewett
    Montana State University

Bozeman, MT 59717

+1

Shine that light on bogus debate issues.....

Great post.....they may be drilling for more oil because of this study....
    put that in your pipe and smoke it McCain........

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I think that was about 3 1/2 million dollar study. Wanta bet the Natonal park rangers,DNR officers and sportsman could have told them the bears are doing great. Now what the hell did DNA have to do with the bears?Which ones are cousins? Hair collected for bears killed by cars in the area in a year could provide all the hair anyone would want for further research.
    The money would have been better used to find out who the fathers are of all the kids we all have to pay welfare for.

pass the doche

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    I think that was about 3 1/2 million dollar study. Wanta bet the Natonal park rangers,DNR officers and sportsman could have told them the bears are doing great. Now what the hell did DNA have to do with the bears?Which ones are cousins? Hair collected for bears killed by cars in the area in a year could provide all the hair anyone would want for further research.
    The money would have been better used to find out who the fathers are of all the kids we all have to pay welfare for.
    please, keep it down Keddano!!!!
    That would cost me a fortune!!!!

+1
    lol, classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ctriverguy View Post
    lol, classic!
    not that i agree with kenndo. but it took 3 1/2 million dollars to conclude that there were 765 grizzlies which is 2.5 times more then they though. nothing else came out of this study or im guessing you would have posted it. and you dont see any thing else wrong with this? im guessing kenndo is right though that the same means could have been accomplished by forest rangers and tagging the bears instead of using dna. and would have cost tax payers much less.

maybe im missing something though.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    not that i agree with kenndo. but it took 3 1/2 million dollars to conclude that there were 765 grizzlies which is 2.5 times more then they though. nothing else came out of this study or im guessing you would have posted it. and you dont see any thing else wrong with this? im guessing kenndo is right though that the same means could have been accomplished by forest rangers and tagging the bears instead of using dna. and would have cost tax payers much less.

BINGO, herein lies the problem with government getting involved with anything. 3 1/2 million dollars to count 700+ bears, can I have this job please!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post

I think its safe to say, genetic variation is key to a species survival. In this case, a park ranger or the guy who just tagged a bear with his buick isnt going to be able to tell you where that bear came from or its gene pool.

One may not like the cost of it, but the reality is that the data collected will be used more than we will ever know.

Mccain can claim he will cut unnecessary spending, but how can anyone without any type of insight on the project cut spending to a legitimate science project that benefits everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ctriverguy View Post

Mccain can claim he will cut unnecessary spending, but how can anyone without any type of insight on the project cut spending to a legitimate science project that benefits everyone?
    When people are losing their homes and taxes are high, studying bear DNA is a luxury. Besides, won't all the earmark recipients claim their project is legitimate and benefits everyone?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information