Polaris Service & Starting Problem - Need Help!

I am in Wichita KS and have a 2002 Genesis which will not start. I think the starter or the bendix is bad.

Starter motor spins but does not engage fly wheel thus will not start. Bought the item used and upon an inspection with a flash light I can see a few nicks on the starter housing which looks like somone hit it (with screw driver & hammer) to get it to engage a time or two.

Questions:

If the starter spins is it pointing to a bendix problem only?

Can one replace the bendix and or starter without pulling the exhause pipe etc?

If you have to pull the exhause is the gasket reusable or is a new one required?

Finally is anyone aware of someone who can service Polaris Water Craft in or near Wichita KS? All Polaris dealers I can find only work on their ATV's..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here to download the 2002 Polaris Service Manual.

Is your Genesis carburetor or fuel injected?

It does sound like the Bendix is the problem. It is located behind the flywheel, and the flywheel must be removed to get at the Bendix.

In some cases, you can remove just the flywheel cover, and spray lube the Bendix enough to get it to loosen up and work again. If water has gotten inside the flywheel housing and rusted the Bendix, such a lube only 'fix' may not last for very long.

The starter motor is located under the exhaust, and can be removed without removing the exhaust, if you can get your hands down to the two mounting bolts that hold it to the engine case.

The starter motor does not need to come out to change the Bendix.

+1
    Be sure to verify the battery is good and the ground cable is clean and tight.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Be sure to verify the battery is good and the ground cable is clean and tight.
    I always miss something.

Verify that battery voltage during cranking is at least 10.6 volts, measured at the battery with a multi-meter, while the start button is pressed. Even better if the voltage during cranking is 11.0 volts or higher.

And check that BOTH ends of each battery cables are clean and tight, including the engine block end of the battery negative cable.

good info..

Thanks for the good info! My genesis is not fuel injected.

Checked the battery and it is pulling 11 amps when starting so I am confident it's not the problem.

I will try pulling the fly wheel cover and spraying some lube. Is W-D40 ok or should I be using something else? I know WD can be harmful to some things and don't want to cause more problems.

I really just need to get it to fire up a few times so I can winterize it.

Looks like a bendix is a pretty inexpensive repair part appears to run $100-$150. Anyone recommend a place to buy?

My challenge is that while I am a boat owner this is my first ski so I really don't know jack but am learning.

Also any suggestions on a cover or where to buy?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nuprin View Post
    ...I will try pulling the fly wheel cover and spraying some lube. Is WD-40 ok or should I be using something else?

...Looks like a Bendix is a pretty inexpensive repair part appears to run $100-$150.
    Anyone recommend a place to buy?

...Also any suggestions on a cover or where to buy?
    I don't know if WD-40 is the best choice for lubing up a stuck Bendix, since there are electrical coils and rubber seals in there. Not sure what would be best

When you pull the cover off, look for signs of rust or any tiny broken springs, gear teeth, or other parts.

You can probably find a good used Bendix. Look in the Classifieds on here, and look at what John Zigler has available.

Covers - eBay is one place. Classifieds here on occasion.

Keep in mind that the Polaris branded covers tend to be more expensive than the third party brands, but the Polaris covers do fit well, and can be kept on while trailering. Some of the third party ones fit rather loosely, and flap around at speed. And there are storage only covers, that are just to keep the dust off, not for trailering at all.

If you decide to change the Bendix, do some searching and reading on here regarding the techniques for doing it with the engine in the hull, vs pulling the motor out. Sometimes you must drain and shift the fuel tank forward to get enough working room.

You will also need a good quality puller, as the cheap ones tend to bend or strip instead of pulling the often VERY TIGHT flywheel off. When it comes off, it often does so with a BANG, so be prepared.

There are several good threads on here regarding winterizing. Search for winterize or winterizing.

well everyone seems to be over looking one issue...

can you spin the motor by hand???
    i would have checked this first.
    if motor is seized starter wont do jack.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nuprin View Post
    ...Starter motor spins but does not engage fly wheel thus will not start...
    Quote Originally Posted by bossd View Post
    ...if motor is seized starter wont do jack.
    You are correct about the starter not being able to crank a seized engine, but in this case it seems the starter is not connecting with the flywheel.

Thread Information