Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water Intrusion

Water Intrusion

I have a big issue with water intrusion while jumping waves.

Question - What prevents water intrusion better?

A race filter with a water sock
    or
    The stock gutted airbox?

My guess is that the gutted stocker is better for intrusion from sloshing but the sock is better for intrusion due to aerated water from the coupler.

Eric

I like the wetsuits but you may need a few well place splash blocks and make sure your drive shield is inplace to keep that water from flying everywhere

If it were me, i would find the source of water getting in the hull Eric..My hull stays bone dry inside, even after the 36 mile offshore endurance race in lauderdale. And that was a REALLY wet ride.

I, also have a leak. We've went around the seams and caulked, no difference. I don't even have to be jumping, but I am always sponging water out even after a few minutes. Any suggestions?

Mine had a tough to find leak, had to fill the hull with water about 6-8 inches deep. Found the transom mounting bolts/studs that have the big washers on them inside the hull leaking, and had leaks at all the hose connection nipples inside the hull at the rear transom area. No need to remove transom and reseal, just remove the bolts/nuts and washers that mount transom to hull one at a time, and apply 5200 and reassemble.
    Do the same with the hose nipples, remove the hose from nipple, coat the area with 5200 and put hose back on nipple.
    Was hard to find but easy to fix once found.

African-American
    +1
    i nearly sank, was caused by the exhaust exit gasket not sealing.

I went free flow, havnt had an issue since, and get a large automatic bilge pump just incase.

[quote=spaceman;829943]i nearly sank, was caused by the exhaust exit gasket not sealing. My buddy overtightened mine and pulverized it! Leaked like a sieve!!

I went free flow, havnt had an issue since, and get a large automatic bilge pump just incase. [/quote]

Ditto on the pump!

There is no leak. If I just ride around or do small jumps, the hull stays bone dry. When I jump big, on re-entry, the ski sinks under water, sometimes completely. I don't land with the gas on because it shocks the crankshaft too much. The water probably gets in around the seat or from the front storage compartment or through the air vents under the cowling.

Maybe I should just go crazy with sealing up the storage compartment and the seat?

I just want to know which is best to prevent water that is already in the hull from getting into the engine - a water sock on the race flame arrestor or a gutted stock airbox?

Eric

Well water beads of the wetsuits but a gutted box is counting on water not spashing up the intake tract .. I would say wetsuits like the stand up guys use without issues . be careful what you seal! you craft is dependent on fresh air intake through ports like the seat ETC as I'm sure you know
    but you never mentioned what ski?

African-American
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    When I jump big, on re-entry, the ski sinks under water, sometimes completely.
    eek.. DO NOT get a race seat... ive got about 2 squared feet of opening on mine.

to your question, i would stay with the stock airbox and remove the metal screens.

safest is def to leave the stock setup alone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information