Help me out if you can...

So i am all into the whole do it yourself thing when it comes to motors (maybe because i am a mechanic). I was curious how everyone is changing the oil. I am aware of suction through the dipstick and doing it that way but 150.00 for the complete kit is a little outrageous... I am woundering if a can just make one with a 12V pump and 5gal bucket, but i am not sure where to get one at, any help would be greattt.

Another is in the nose of my ski. Its got "splintered" fiberglass around the nose from a harsh kit i guess into a peir or what not... nothing bad but i would like to try to fix it. Any sugestions on where or how to do this process?

Bryan

+1
    i use this oil extractor ..only 40 bucks.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._390306_390306

i changed the oil at an initial 10hrs, no filter change. now i am up to 50hrs and i changed the oil and filter. after extracting the oil, stuff rags under the front of the motor and pull the filter off..thats it.

i guess a 12v pump would work with a 5 gal bucket, u just gotta get the right size hose to put in the dipstick. its pretty fuggin small though..

as to the repair on the hull, if its the underside of the boat, use marine tex in black i myself and sixtydashone have repair our bottoms with this stuff. sands easily, tough as steel and very workable and matches the color perfect.....

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaRacer447 View Post
    150.00 for the complete kit
    I don't know what that is but the $50 one from either Harbor Freight or West Marine does an excellent job - easy, fast and economic.

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    I don't know what that is but the $50 one from either Harbor Freight or West Marine does an excellent job - easy, fast and economic.

That is an excellent pump for the price and is very dependable if cared for properly. We use these on service calls and as fsr as weight, function, etc., we luv em!

Quote Originally Posted by inchadeboca View Post
    i use this oil extractor ..only 40 bucks.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._390306_390306

i changed the oil at an initial 10hrs, no filter change. now i am up to 50hrs and i changed the oil and filter. after extracting the oil, stuff rags under the front of the motor and pull the filter off..thats it.

i guess a 12v pump would work with a 5 gal bucket, u just gotta get the right size hose to put in the dipstick. its pretty fuggin small though..

as to the repair on the hull, if its the underside of the boat, use marine tex in black i myself and sixtydashone have repair our bottoms with this stuff. sands easily, tough as steel and very workable and matches the color perfect.....

The cracks are more on the nose... kinda hard to see unless you took off the bumper on the front but its in the white part not the hull...

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post

Thanks man i was looking at this one the other night.. does this work off a vaccum or is it a hand pump?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Its Manual...... pretty easy to use though. just a few pumps gets it flowing......

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaRacer447 View Post
    Thanks man i was looking at this one the other night.. does this work off a vaccum or is it a hand pump?
    Yes and Yes.
    You create a vacuum by pumping if by hand several times. Then, it flows on its own by siphoning action.
    To be most efficient:
    > Warm up the engine just prior to oil change.
    > Lower the trailer front so, you can suck out as much oil as possible.
    > Place the oil pump at the lowest possible position relative to the ski for the greater siphoning action.

Thanks all, i appreciate i am going down to Ocean City this weekend so i am going to stop in Deleware and get one in the West Marine store...

Thread Information