Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: driveshaft mod

driveshaft mod

2 questions -
    instead of buying a longer driveshaft for any of the various applications, has anyone tried legnthening (i think i spelled that wrong! ) the stock one?

and does anyone know exactly how much longer the drivshaft for the magnum setback pump is vs. the oem driveshaft? i would need the specs for the 02gpr

jason
    [email protected]

+1
    the 2002 shaft is the odd one - it is 2 inches shorter than all other years

I think the extended Skat shaft is 1 1/2 longer than the other years (or 3 1/2 inches longer than your 2002 shaft)

So i would have to add 3 1/2" to my 02 driveshaft to make it compatible with a setback magnum pump? thats more than i was hoping . I think it can still be done but thats allot of filling in. Id rather do it for free vs. 500 bux (moneys a little tight) can anyone else confirm the extra length? Has anyone tried this before? I know its gotta be PERFECT.

500 dollars is a lot cheaper that a new hull if that homemade shaft comes apart!!

deffinately true - thats why i am trying to find out if it is possible, if anyone has ever done so, and what they have done. I have the machinery available to me to do whatever is neccesary, its just coming up with a plan that works.

What I have in mind so far is to fabricate a jig to hold the shaft perfectly strait. I would cut it in the middle, then notch both ends maybe 1/2" deep or so and use plate steel to primarily reconnect the two pieces (to strengthen against twisting). Then simply fill the remainder with weld and grind down. How deep and what size plate i havent decided but thats just a brainstormed idea.

Sinse the gap is much larger than i had hoped I might even be able to find some stainless rod with a matched diameter, cut and notch that and stick it between, not sure. This isnt something im gonna do if i have any doubts, like you said, i dont wana sink old betsy!

Im not positive because I do not have a setback myself but I believe the bearing section on a magnum pump is shorter than OEM. If thats true you would have to get ahold of a setback shaft to get the dimensions to remachine the bearing end of the shaft.

PS: Before you go to the trouble of getting a setback pump I recomend putting the 1300 extension on if you havnt already. I am running a standard 12vien magnum the the 1300 setback and its awesome... but more would probably be better.... and dont forget the R&D pro shoe.

im building a limited boat to start racing this summer so i need hookup and accelleration. I have thought about numerous setups, the 1300 setback, the 05 pump option, blueprinted pumps, setback props, ect. I didnt start really tunning untill mid 2005 but ive been doing my homework, anyone have any other suggestions? id really appreciate the help...

+1
    Yup,
    I have a suggestion. You have the "hardest" part already accomplished, just by having a 2002 ski. Your intermeddiate shaft is the right one.

You need:
    2" extention parts.
    Longer driveshaft.

That's about it. Do you currently have a Skat Trak short driveshaft? If so, I "might" be able to work out a deal with you in the very near future. I have the standard length Skat driveshaft, and MIGHT need the short one. This could work out for both of us, if this is the case. I don't have any details, but am working on a strange fish.

It's not just about the length of the shaft.
    You cant use an OEM driveshaft in a Skat-trak pump (at least, in the 12 vein setback) as the shoulders that the bearings are located on are in different positions on the driveshaft in the pump housings. This is due to the setback.
    The impellor threads are in different locations on the shaft also.
    I've just done the exercise.
    I had to build 2 pump's. One is a Skat 12 vein setback assembly, the other is a stock pump setup.

+1
    very true!

I was assuming he had a 2002 Skat driveshaft...not a stock one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information