Timing Light for Seadoo's

Anyone know where I can purchase a timing light suitable for use when timing Seadoo engines and 2 stroke engines in general.
    I know a standard automotive timng light will work on single cylinder engie but on 2 and 3 cylinder.

+1
    Standard timing light should be fine. You are only reading the timing on the one plug the lead is clipped around anyway.

Do you not need a specific timing light for 2 stroke with more than 1 cylinder.
    A normal automotive timing light will work on a single cylinder as it sparks only once per revolution.
    With a 2 cylinder or more 2 stroke, each cylinder sparks twice per revolution. Therefore the timing light will flash twice as fast as the engine.
    Does the timing light not have to flash at the same speed of the revolving crank to give the perception the it has stopped spinning.

If my theory is flawed here somebody please correct me.

I have tested this using a tach suitable for single cylinder 2 stroke.
    With a 2 cylinder engine the tacho reads double the revs on one cylinder and on a 3 cylinder it reads 3 times the speed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steelroe View Post
    Do you not need a specific timing light for 2 stroke with more than 1 cylinder.
    A normal automotive timing light will work on a single cylinder as it sparks only once per revolution.
    With a 2 cylinder or more 2 stroke, each cylinder sparks twice per revolution. Therefore the timing light will flash twice as fast as the engine.
    Does the timing light not have to flash at the same speed of the revolving crank to give the perception the it has stopped spinning.

If my theory is flawed here somebody please correct me.

I have tested this using a tach suitable for single cylinder 2 stroke.
    With a 2 cylinder engine the tacho reads double the revs on one cylinder and on a 3 cylinder it reads 3 times the speed.
    True.

As long as you have the timing light lead connected to the correct cylinder, for checking timing, then the second or 180deg out strobe will not register anything as there will be no mark on the PTO to see. You will only see the BTDC timing mark that you scribed on the PTO.

What engine is this for ?

Seadoo 717 but will be used on others.
    Do you not need the timing light ti flash at the same rate as the engine speed (PTO) to be able to see the timing marks?

+1
    The timing light will flash twice as fast as the engine rpm because the coil fires twice every revolution. This won't make any difference, you will only see every second strobe for the plug you have the lead connected to. If you have a regular timing light try it you'll see it works. The timing procedure in the manual asks for a mark on the PTO not at TDC but some point before that. Piston travel needs to be measured with a dial gauge to get the correct mark on the PTO. If you don't have a manual I can scan and email the pages for you.

The only issue I can see with a standard timing light is to check the timing on a Seadoo 717 the engine rpm needs to be around 5K, the timing light is now seeing an engine rpm of 10K and may be outside it's design parameters.

Thread Information