Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Stereo In My Slt?

Hello all, Hey does the stator supply enough power to hook up a marine sterio on my 1995 slt 750? Or woluld it be better to run a second battery to power it. I do not want to burn anything up. Thanks

A second battery would only be useful if you put a solenoid in to disconnect it from the main battery when the ski is off. That way you could have the radio on when the ski isnt running. But it might be a big load on the stator if you suddenly connect this dead battery that it needs to charge.

I plan on doing this. Im going to keep the single battery, and not use it when the ski is off. Or at least keep it under 15 mins of use. The charging system should be able to handle a small load no problem. Those dont take much power, i believe the charging system is rated at 100w or so. Most of those radios take 20-60w depending on the volume and whatnot.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Dual batteries, battery combiner - options for powering a radio or music player

SLT750 alternator electrical power output;
    10 Amps, 120 watts at 4500RPM
    1992-1998 Service Manual page 17

Available electrical power will be less at lower RPM.

Some of that power is used by the CDI ignition, MFD, Trim, and bilge pump, the rest is available to recharge the battery and power your music.

Do you plan on listening while the engine is running, or while the engine is off?

Engine running, there is enough Amps for a modest power output amplifier (which is what consumes most of the power). Digital Class D amplifiers are fairly efficient, so it really depends on how loud you will be listening, and how powerful the amp is.

If you have the music system hooked up and playing, as long as the MFD is showing more than about 13.5 volts with the engine running, the system is able to handle the extra load, and is not discharging the battery.

14.0 volts or slightly higher is the normal electrical system voltage with the engine running, and the battery will be charging in the normal manner.

Listening with the engine off, the battery capacity and state of charge are the determining factors. The longer the music plays, and the more Amps the amplifier draws, the less power remaining to start the engine.

The stock battery size is rated at 19Amp/hours. That means, a 10Amp load should provide about 1.9 hours of power. A 1Amp load would play for about 19 hours. At that point, the battery would be 100% discharged, and not have enough power to crank the engine.

You should plan to not use more than 1/2 of the available battery capacity, so less than 10Amp/hours (roughly 9 Amps for 1 hour, or 1 Amp for 9 hours).

Keep in mind that as a battery ages, the available capacity shrinks. A three year old 19Amp/hour battery will NOT provide as much music time as a new battery.

Battery quality plays a role. The better made batteries will provide a more consistent amount of power, over the years, than a cheaply made battery. A factory sealed AGM type battery (such as the Deka brand AGM) would be a good choice, as it can recharge rapidly without damage.

When you do restart, it will take some engine running time to fully recharge the battery (maybe 2-4 hours from 50% discharged). I think the electrical system is current self-limiting, so recharging a rather discharged battery shouldn't be an issue.
    (As long as it is not completely discharged. Anything beyond about 75% discharge shortens the battery life).

If you install a physically larger than stock battery, then you would be able to listen longer before the battery would be too weak to restart the engine.

A dual battery system could be installed, which eliminates the concern about not being able to start the engine if the 'music battery' is drained. Using a battery combiner device, both batteries would be automatically recharged when the engine is running.

A combiner only connects the two batteries together when the charging system voltage is above 13.x volts. So when the engine is not running, the 12.x volt batteries are automatically separated.

When the engine is running, the alternator output rises above 13 volts, the batteries are linked, and the system charges both, with the battery needing more recharging getting the bulk of the recharge current. Many combiners include a built-in time delay feature, so that they do not 'chatter' if the voltage is wobbling right around the 13 volt level.

A battery combiner has simple connections. One red wire to each battery, black wire to ground. Connect the music device directly (through a fuse) to the 'secondary' battery, and leave everything else connected as per normal to the 'main' or 'start' battery.

Charles Industries 'Intelligent Battery Combiner'

You could create a 'poor man's combiner', by wiring a relay with the coil powered by the Orange wire from the LR regulator. When the engine is running, the relay contacts would close, connecting the two battery positives together. When the engine stops, the relay would open, separating the batteries.
    Last edited by K447; 10-13-2010 at 02:15 PM.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    BBCaprice has been running a stereo on his Polaris for years. I'm sure he can give some input on how long he gets to listen before killing the battery,Of course like K447 says depends on what the radio draws. I really don't see why you couldn't hook 2 batteries up parallel to give you 2x the amps.(Red to Red/Black to Black),Or a seperate battery wired for easy access for a trickle charge,that way your only drain your radio battery and not ever taxing your charging system.

+1
    GOD YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!! Thanks you have answered my question. It will be a simple system not one of those BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM blow out your windows systems.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    ...hook 2 batteries up parallel to give you 2x the amps.(Red to Red/Black to Black)...
    You can just link two batteries.

You just won't know how much capacity you have remaining, until one day you drain it too far, and the engine won't start.

Using a relay or combiner with two batteries just removes that worry, and isn't very complicated to hook up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    You can just link two batteries.

You just won't know how much capacity you have remaining, until one day you drain it too far, and the engine won't start.
    That's OK,There's always people around to help you just "PUSH START IT!"

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1

+1
    HERE'S WHAT i WAS TALKING ABOUT.Opps
    post#26

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ighlight=RADIO

Xlint- Nice radio set up. Can you really hear it while riding?

BB-Not really there to listen while riding. We do a lot of island hopping and its nice to have tunes w/ your beer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	064_64.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	97380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	065_65.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	97381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	066_66.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	97382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	067_67.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	97383  

+1
    MAN that is it!!! I am planning to put mine in the compartment. I was thinking about some speakers that have a bracket that are external. pointing them towards the driver. I ralley do not want to cut big speaker holes in the body. Man that looks great. I think that I am going to go with a second battery not even connected to the ski and charge it when not in use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information