1994 sl750 starter

I have a 1994 sl750 and I here the relay clicking in the electrical box but the starter does not engage.
    I believe the starter needs to be replaced. How big of a job is this?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you can get your hands down under the exhaust, there are two bolts that hold the starter to the engine block.

Check the Service Manual for more details, and be sure to disconnect the battery negative cable before you start working on the starter.

Once you get the two bolts out (don't drop them under the engine), the starter can be wiggled rearwards until it pulls out of the flywheel housing. It is sealed with a couple of O-Rings, so it can take some effort to get it to come loose.

Once you have it out in the open, you can remove the heavy cable, then reinstall the replacement starter in reverse order.

Be sure there is no paint or corrosion where the starter mounting bolts to the engine, it needs to be clean with good metal to metal electrical contact.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If you can get your hands down under the exhaust, there are two bolts that hold the starter to the engine block.

Check the Service Manual for more details, and be sure to disconnect the battery negative cable before you start working on the starter.

Once you get the two bolts out (don't drop them under the engine), the starter can be wiggled rearwards until it pulls out of the flywheel housing. It is sealed with a couple of O-Rings, so it can take some effort to get it to come loose.

Once you have it out in the open, you can remove the heavy cable, then reinstall the replacement starter in reverse order.

Be sure there is no paint or corrosion where the starter mounting bolts to the engine, it needs to be clean with good metal to metal electrical contact.
    sure your bendix isnt what jammed the starter. it happened to me, a tooth chipped off and caused that same clicking noise and also caused the starter to not turn

1994 sl750

Don't I have to take the starter out to replace the bendix. I might as well replace the whole thing.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by polarisman View Post
    Don't I have to take the starter out to replace the Bendix?
    I might as well replace the whole thing.
    Starter motor comes out the back of the flywheel cover, as described. The Bendix is removed from the front side, after removing the flywheel cover and flywheel.

Either one can be replaced without removing the other.

The Bendix is much more effort to get at, because you must remove the flywheel cover, then pull the flywheel (which requires a puller to get off), and you may need to shift the fuel tank to get enough working room. THEN you can take the Bendix out.

Review the R&R procedures in the Service Manual, which also has some photos of the steps.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Not the easiest part to change.

Try putting 12V directly to the starter, If it doesn't crank then, it's the starter or bendix.

Then remove the spark plugs and try turning the crank by hand. If it turns, it's the starter. If it doesn't turn, then the bendix is binding on the flywheel.

Thread Information