Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1

Winterizing Boat Being Kept In Garage?

Do I need to Winterize my Boat if I 'm going to be keeping it in my Garage? The Temp out there doesn't really go below 40. The lowest I've ever seen on the Car Thermometer was 38.

So should I even bother Winterizing it? Just start it once a Month for a few Seconds and let it Run then shut it down? Would that be good enough?

Put fuel stabil in it , Fog the engine through the TB to protect the valves and put the battery on a tender.

+1
    With the Fogging stuff, I just Idle the Engine then Spray it in til it Chokes Out right?

It may not choke the engine off , just spray for a few seconds at idle and then kill the engine. Its only to coat the valves with oil so they dont corrode .

where do you spray it in? Do you take off the air intake and spray into the throttle butterfly?

Are all fogging oils created equal? (How to choose at the store?)

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    No STOP!!! You guys that have the 4-Tec engines....Don't fog through the Throttle Body!

You need to lubricate the engine internals by spraying bombardier lube into the fuel injector port holes.

You need to remove the fuel rail and spray the bombardier lube into the holes then put the fuel rail back on and have someone crank the engine while you hold the throttle body linkage wide open throtte (Drown Mode) Engine will only crank not start. This will disperse the lube all over the engine internals.

I do this step twice so I know the internals are protected

You can spray a very small amount into the Throttle Body(with engine off) to lube the butterfly valve but you only need a little.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by holdnon72 View Post
    No STOP!!! You guys that have the 4-Tec engines....Don't fog through the Throttle Body!

You need to remove the fuel rail and spray the bombardier lube into the holes then put the fuel rail back on and have someone crank the engine while you hold the throttle body linkage wide open throtte (Drown Mode) Engine will only crank not start. This will disperse the lube all over the engine internals.
    Quick question here. I'm familiar with how to winterize the 2 stroke motors and have no experience with the 4 stroke rotax's but how is removing the fuel rail and spraying the fogging oil through the fuel injector ports any different or better than applying it through the throttle body? Applying the lube through the throttle body coats the throttle body, runners, valves and down into the cylinder. On a 2 stroke the block, crank and well whole engine is being coated since the intake charge goes through the crankcase also. If you are just applying it through the injector ports you are coating the valves and cylinder. That is assuming it is not a direct injection engine. Is it?

Seems like more work than necassary but like I said no expierence with those motors. If SeaDoo calls for it that way no problems, maybe recommend due to the intercooler on the super charged engines, maybe the intake is a composite, messes with the sensors. I'm just guessing here. I've always used a healthy shot of fogging oil while the engine is running to try and stall it out. I want those engine internals well coated. Then afterwards I always pull the spark plugs and spray some more down into the cylinder and crank it over a few more times. 4 stroke guys should do an oil change and make sure the coolant is still good and full.

Correct me if wrong. Which I probable am. SeaDoo has really put some engineering into these motors and makes it more complicated nowdays to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by holdnon72 View Post

You need to lubricate the engine internals by spraying bombardier lube into the fuel injector port holes.

I do this step twice so I know the internals are protected

You can spray a very small amount into the Throttle Body(with engine off) to lube the butterfly valve but you only need a little.
    Ernie is right on the money with this one.
    If you fog throu the T Body all you will do is fill the intake with fogging fluid. You have to remove the fuel rail and spray the fluid in the injectors holes. This lubes the valves. Any 4Tec shop manual will show you this procedure.

+1
    Ok, good thing I didn't do anything yet.

I'll prob. do it this week or next.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Len View Post
    Ernie is right on the money with this one.
    If you fog throu the T Body all you will do is fill the intake with fogging fluid. You have to remove the fuel rail and spray the fluid in the injectors holes. This lubes the valves. Any 4Tec shop manual will show you this procedure.
    Man that is odd still. Makes no sense to be, it is not like the intake air is taking a different route to the combustion chamber. If the engine is running it will get there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information