Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Electrical issues with 2001 Genesis

HELP! I just purchased a used 2001 Genesis FFI and it is acting weird. The bilge pump won't work when the button is pressed yet when I connect it directly to a battery it runs fine. The engine runs but I cannot get the RPM's up. It is as though the machine thinks it is in reverse, when in fact it's not. The red light flashes on the display when I try and rev it up.

Thanks

+1
    Hi Jo, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!

What's your charging voltage to the battery?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for Polaris Service Manuals.
    Use the 2002 Manual, very close to the 2001 version. Some differences in the wiring and electrical box, I think.

When the red light flashes, is there a message on the display, along the bottom?

Does your Genesis have electric reverse, or a manual reverse handle?

The EMM engine computer will limit RPM to 3500RPM if it thinks reverse is engaged.

Check for a fuse for the bilge pump, either inside the electrical box (if you have one), or inside the cover of splice connector in the wiring harness.

It may be low. The shop says it needs a new stator. I charged the battery up full. I can't understand how this would affect the rpm's?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for Polaris Service Manuals.
    Use the 2002 Manual, very close to the 2001 version. Some differences in the wiring and electrical box, I think.

When the red light flashes, is there a message on the display, along the bottom?

Does your Genesis have electric reverse, or a manual reverse handle?

The EMM engine computer will limit RPM to 3500RPM if it thinks reverse is engaged.

Check for a fuse for the bilge pump, either inside the electrical box (if you have one), or inside the cover of splice connector in the wiring harness.
    I don't recall seeing any message. It is an electric reverse. As for the bilge fuse, I've looked everywhere and can't find it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Blow View Post
    ...The shop says it needs a new stator...
    Any other information you have not shared with us?

What did the service shop say about the stator?

The stator is very important to the operation of the engine, not just charging the battery.

If any of the three stator coils that feed the EMM+fuel injector 45 volt system are weak, then the engine will not operate properly. There are another two stator coils that feed the 12 volt battery charging circuit.

It sounds like the 45 volt injector power feed is not operating at full voltage. Is this why the shop thinks the stator needs changing?

Any other information you have not shared with us?

What did the service shop say about the stator?

The stator is very important to the operation of the engine, not just charging the battery.

If any of the three stator coils that feed the EMM+fuel injector 45 volt system are weak, then the engine will not operate properly. There are another two stator coils that feed the 12 volt battery charging circuit.

It sounds like the 45 volt injector power feed is not operating at full voltage. Is this why the shop thinks the stator needs changing?
    I am unfortunately getting this information from the seller. I knew there were going to be issues, I bought it "as is". I am not very familiar with the "stator" and what all it does. They did say it was weak and not charging the battery. Could it also then be the root cause of the lack of rpms and thinking its in reverse?

+1
    I don't recall seeing any message.
    As for the bilge fuse, I've looked everywhere and can't find it.
    Is there ANY message at the bottom of the MFI display, like "Check Engine"?

Bilge fuse - have you opened the electrical box to look for a fuse?
    (Disconnect battery negative before you open the box)

In the lower left area of this picture, there are two splice connectors, each with a miniature automotive style blade fuse inside. The labels on yours may have come off.

For the bilge pump, follow the Orange wire back from the bilge pump. Somewhere along the way, there is a fuse.

Is there ANY message at the bottom of the MFI display, like "Check Engine"?

Bilge fuse - have you opened the electrical box to look for a fuse?
    (Disconnect battery negative before you open the box)

In the lower left area of this picture, there are two splice connectors, each with a miniature automotive style blade fuse inside. The labels on yours may have come off.

For the bilge pump, follow the Orange wire back from the bilge pump. Somewhere along the way, there is a fuse.
    I just tried it and yes- it does say "check engine" when I try and rev it up and the red light comes on. As for the attached picture you sent, mine looks nothing like that. Anyway if the two issues are not related I'm not too worried about the bilge pump right now. I'd really like to get the rpm issue resolved so I can properly winterize it in the next month.
    I also forgot to mention that the MFI does not show when the reverse gate is moving. It always displays as Forward.
    Last edited by Jo Blow; 10-04-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Additional

+1
    I am unfortunately getting this information from the seller.

I knew there were going to be issues, I bought it "as is". I am not very familiar with the "stator" and what all it does.

They did say it was weak and not charging the battery.

Could it also then be the root cause of the lack of rpms and thinking its in reverse?
    There could be multiple issues.

Get a fuel pressure gauge, and connect it to the schrader valve tee in the return fuel line. Pressure should be over 20PSI as soon as the engine starts rotating, and should be stable. If the pressure is near zero, then there is a problem with the fuel pump.

Find a splice or connection point in the White/Red wires. This is the fuel injector 45volt power circuit. With all injectors plugged into the harness, measure the voltage on the White/Red wire.

It should be over 20 volts when cranking, and jump to almost 40 volts at idle. As RPM rises above idle the voltage should stabilize at 45 volts, and stay at 45 volts all the way up the RPM range.

I suspect either or both of these tests will show a problem.

If the engine will not rise above a specific RPM level, tell us what that RPM is, and if it is consistent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information