Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To block off or not to block off??

I have ran snowmobiles for years and have not worried about the oil injection sys on my sleds. They are basically the same as skis, if they quite you burn up your motor.

Why is there not as much talk about running mix gas on sleds as they do with ski's????

Both should be prone to the same issues, right??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Not sure what you are asking...

In the early years of PWC some brands and models had failure issues related to the oil injection system. That early experience seems to have created a bias against oil injection for some PWC riders.

Apparently the Yamaha 2-stroke oil injection system is still not trusted by everyone.

On the flip side, perhaps the colder air temperatures for snow mobiles means that pre-mixing oil with gas is less desirable.

From what I have read, the Polaris oil injection systems are very reliable, as long as the hoses are maintained and fittings checked regularly, just like every other hose and fitting in the machine should be.

The variable rate oil injection systems also consume less oil than pre-mix. Approximately 1/2 the oil consumption over time. Circa 100:1 at low RPM, around 40:1 at WOT. Less smokey at idle and low speeds.

The main issue on the reliability side is whether you can be 100% certain that no-one will ever refuel a pre-mix PWC with straight gasoline. If other people may be refueling your PWC, then oil injection avoids any worry about the oil not getting mixed into the fuel at the proper ratio, or not getting mixed in at all. A single refueling without adding the pre-mix oil is a 100% risk of damaging the engine.

Choose pre-mix if you are OK with pre-mixing your fuel, and messing with oil measuring at each refuel, and OK with the added smoke and increased oil consumption, and at re-sale time the next buyer will also be OK with pre-mix.

Note: You can not switch to pre-mix if your have a Ficht fuel injection Polaris PWC. You must retain the oil injection system.
    Last edited by K447; 10-05-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: More pre-mix comments

I do it for peace of mind! I have 4 watercraft and everyone has at least 1k worth of motor I found that when I had all but 1 ski on premix I couldn't stop worrying about a line failure or a check valve issue the whole time I rode it
    so I converted it also .

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I went with premix for piece of mind as well. $12 block off plate prevents alot of $$ should there be an issue with the oil pump.

Watercraft goes through an extreme environment, and I feel fewer moving parts is better. Besides you are more prone to corrosion and sticking of moving parts if you ever get water inside the hull.

A burnt sled can be a long WALK back to the truck, but a ski leaves you stranded. Piece of mind......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    A burnt sled can be a long WALK back to the truck, but a ski leaves you stranded. Piece of mind......
    I have to disagree...I pack one of these in my ride for those long "walks" back to shore...really...I'm serious.... GREAT POINT BY THE WAY!! It's a totally vulnerable feeling being stuck far from shore.

I believe that you can argue that both environments are extreme. You do have a freezing issue from the melted snow in the engine compartment, icing up the arm on the oil injection cable. All jet ski manufactures make sleds and I do not think the tech in the oil injection differs much.

I have been adding oil to my first tank of gas on my skis with marks on the oil tanks for reference to see if the level drops or not. I am more of a stock ski rider, I have fallen off of skis at over 55mph too many times, I am getting older and when I brake something it stays broke, I don't heal up as fast as when I was 18 or 19.

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    Stock: Proper maintenance will yield years of trouble free operation. Mazda has been using these things on their cars since the 70's. They work great, and if they do break, only cost 14 bucks for the rebuild kit.

Not so Stock: Block it off. It is calibrated for stock performance. If you are running more HP / RPMs than stock, you need more oil. A little bolt on here or there won't hurt, but heads, carbs, tripples, all your big HP items.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996SLTX View Post
    I have to disagree...I pack one of these in my ride for those long "walks" back to shore...really...I'm serious.... GREAT POINT BY THE WAY!! It's a totally vulnerable feeling being stuck far from shore.

that is REALLY an ingenious idea!!!! Hopefully it's not too windy though. You may roll to Canada.

piece of mind too , iv actually bought a replacement before i new about block off kits when i was a nube

iv got about 900 invest in the motor alone

900 vsm. 16 and a little measurein cup work at the pump is worth it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    that is REALLY an ingenious idea!!!! Hopefully it's not too windy though. You may roll to Canada.
    Well, K477 or 447, whatever his real name is, can roll me back!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information