CHEWED UP SOME ROPE TODAY PLEASE HELP

Im new to pwc so bear with me. just purchsed 2 new rxps when i was breaking mine in i got some rope in the intake and it got rapped up on the dirve shaft. i cut it out but im afraid its to late i had the learning key in when it happened i could go about 40-45 mph know it will only go about 35 mph and has a vibration. i got under and looked at the wear ring and it has some grooves on it but it looks like it still has a tight seal around the impeller. the impeller also has some little nicks on it but dosent look bent. please help

sounds like wear ring or maybe even your prop but also check if hub in front of prop is loose if it is it will go up shaft and cause cav. tighten counter clock wise (white key)???????never yoused mine

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you need to pull the pump and do a very good inspection of the impeller/wear ring. If the wear ring isn't smooth, it needs changed. Impeller shouldn't have dings. Also check the rubber boot on the impeller.
    The RXP's (as well as other PWC's) will reach out 4 feet to suck in a ski rope
    I'm also wondering about the learning key...not the best way to break in the engine.

THE DEALER TOLD ME TO USE THE LEARING KEY FOR THE FIRST HOUR THEN GO TO THE OTHER KEY I JUST PUT ONE HOUR ON IT AND LET MY WIFE TAKE IT OUT WHEN THE ROPE GOT IN THE INTAKE. I TOOK THE SKI UP TO POWERSPORTS OF CLEVELAND TODAY WILL FIND OUT WHAT IS WRONG TOMARROW OR THURSDAY HOPFULLY JUST WEAR RING AND NOT THE IMPELLER OR DRIVE SHAFT. THANKS FOR UR HELP.

sounds like your driveshaft may have bent, or just chewed up the impeller and wear ring.

Some dealers are telling people to use the learning key for breakin. Unfortunatly, this is incorrect. The learning key does work by limiting rpm alone. It is a whole different ignition and fuel map. It simply does not represent real world usage, and therefore cannot do a proper job of breaking in the engine.

Not the 1st time I heard that story. Sorry for your unfortunate error.
    I have a friend who sucked up a limestone rock in about 2' of water. The rock got locked up into the impeller wear ring which created a groove and then proceeded to melt the ring. The ring had to be cut in half for removal Turn around time for the repair has been 4 weeks and counting. He gave it to me to snap a pick, I'll try to post it some time.

the dealer told me to use the learn key for the first hour then go to the reg key. still havent heard anything from the shop on whats wrong. man i want to get on the water BAD!!!. been really nice weather up here in ohio hopfully be back out this weekend but i doubt it will be done.

Similar thing happened to me today unfortunately. However I sucked up a piece of PVC. RXP started vibrating uncontrolably over 2500 rpms. Fortunately I was not far from shore so I just drifted back in. Took off my intake grate and found the piece of PVC. It was cut up pretty bad. Prop looks fine and vibration has stopped however the part of the prop painted green which I assume is supposed to screw onto the rest of the prop does not screw on at all. It seems as though the threads have been wrecked. Instead of screwing in it just pushes in and pulls back out, it just slides frelly up and down the drive shaft. Is this of serious concern? How can it be fixed?

Sounds like the green cone from your Solas lost its threads. If you have the stock rubber one, you can use it.
    One of the best things any Doo owner can learn is how to pull the pump and change the wear ring. There are some detailed directions on this site. It is a fairly easy job. The first time will take the longest.
    The area I live in has a fairly limited riding season, so ANY downtime sucks. I keep a new wear ring on hand. In a few hours, I can be back on the water playing, and not waiting 2 weeks for a dealer to get to it

Quote Originally Posted by watermedic
    Sounds like the green cone from your Solas lost its threads. If you have the stock rubber one, you can use it.
    One of the best things any Doo owner can learn is how to pull the pump and change the wear ring. There are some detailed directions on this site. It is a fairly easy job. The first time will take the longest.
    The area I live in has a fairly limited riding season, so ANY downtime sucks. I keep a new wear ring on hand. In a few hours, I can be back on the water playing, and not waiting 2 weeks for a dealer to get to it
    Medic:

You are absolutely right. Learning how to pull the pump, will save you a lot of money over time. I did it for the first time a week ago. I followed the steps in "How to remove pump" in the Important RXP Info section. I could do it in my sleep now. Taking it off the first time took me about an hour. Putting it back on took me less than half that. Remember to use loctite!!

Thread Information