Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 GSXL Starting problems

things I have done already, I just replaced the MPEM, Steering harness, ignition coil, ground cable from battery to starter.
    Beeper does not work

I got this ski not running, thinking that all I was needing was a new MPEM.
    So replaced MPEM, with matched key. After installing the new mpem found corroded terminals on steering harness. Replaced harness. tested resistance on the ignition coil, so replaced the coil.. replaced ground due to being a bonehead and pulled the terminal off the cable. Replaced positive lead, just because.

I was able to start the machine finally woo whooo!
    Well after starting it several times today on hose idled great ran great.
    Display was not working properly but figured that was ok for now.
    I shut down the machine let it set for a little while. Come back to start machine again, nothing.... check fuses.. 5amp mpem fuse is blown.
    I replaced it, put the dess on and get the red light on the display. Hit the start button, nothing......
    Pull dess key let it set for 30 seconds, hit starter button, red light on display comes on. So I know I am getting power to the MPEm. disconnected the VTS harnes, since I know this isn't functioning properly. Still same result. I am not getting power to the starter relay when I hit the start button.
    I checked voltage to the MPEM good 12+ volts. Tried the MPEM self test, nothing, since I don't have a beeper I cant really tell.. but last time I did this it started the machine....
    Sorry for the long post, but I am out of ideas. All grounds seem to be good. Could I have blown another MPEM already??
    Help?!? ideas?!?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Pull the front cover off the engine. Metal shavings from the starter bendix have gotten into the inductive pickup or magneto. Remove them and you should be ok.

Good luck getting to it! It would probably be easier to pull the engine than try it in place...

thanks xpss

So are these shavings causing a short of some sort?
    I can still jump the relay terminals and the ski turns over.. if that matters at all...

Yes, it normally shorts between the magneto and stator. But they can get lodged on the inductive pickup too. This is why the 5 amp fuse blew. The engine will still turn over, just no spark.

Was in your neck of the woods last weekend...my wife grew up in Orange Park and gave me a tour of her old homes, schools, etc.

Good luck!

I have now re-checked all electric connectors and grounds.
    I now get a garbled looking display on the digital info gauge. I still haven't replaced my beeper so I can't really tell if I am getting anything out of it. I still think I may have a bad ground somewhere.

Should I get spark on the spark plugs if I jump the starter relay terminals to turn the ski over?

Is it possible that I fried my MPEM again? When I press the start button all I hear is the beeper trying to make a sound. Or is it possible when the 5 amp fuse blew, that I could have lost the DESS Programming?

Should I get spark on the spark plugs if I jump the starter relay terminals to turn the ski over? No, this just sends voltage to the starter, the MPEM provides voltage to the coil to fire the plugs.

Is it possible that I fried my MPEM again? Doubtful, unless you hooked up something wrong.

When I press the start button all I hear is the beeper trying to make a sound. Or is it possible when the 5 amp fuse blew, that I could have lost the DESS Programming? Not possible.

You didn't boost the battery did you?

I took it out and put it on a charger when I had it pulled from the ski.

hooking something up wrong

The steering harness that I got had one extra plug going back to the fuel sensor and oil sensor. I dont think i started it with these crossed, but I went through the wiring after finding this and pulled these 2 plugs from the amp connector so that they would not possibly cross again. Not sure what it was for either....

Quote Originally Posted by hawkrdr View Post
    I took it out and put it on a charger when I had it pulled from the ski.
    You charge at 2 amps or 10 or more?

2 amps only.

So on the wiring diagram the ground plug that goes to the front og the engine from the #2 wiring harness shows there is supposed to be connections in 2-17 and 2-19,
    17 is supposed to be the ground and 19 is supposed to be ACC??
    I don't have anything in these plugs.. matter of fact this is where the extra connector was connected to.. is it possible that the original wiring harness was f*^*ed with before I got it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information