Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hit a duck today testing milled head

I fitted a milled head today. I think my compression guage may be bad. Test before showed 95 - 100psi and after 100 - 105psi. I measured the heads and the milled head was .033 thinner than the stock head. It did seem to have more power. Peak rpm was up to 7300 but I'm sure it would have been a little higher if had reinstalled and indexed the iridum plugs. The stock plugs were closer and I was running out of daylight. When I started my first WOT pass several ducks few across my path, no big deal right? There was one duck at was a little slower than the others. When I saw him I turned a little to give him some room, but he turrned too. I ran right over him at about 55mph, dead duck. It was a little un-nerving, I know people have been hurt and killed like this. peak speed was still 66.2mph but with more fuel onboard. I ran out of light and had to stop testing.

Moderated
    glad your ok dude, i read somewhere ages ago that a tester from riva lost his life in very similar circumstances doing 55mph on a lake.

I recently had a near miss with water bird of some type, same deal, making WOT passes testing and this bird went to take flight but did it too late, i guess it did not realize i was doing about 75mph at the time and lucky for me i saw it getting too close too fast and got off the gas or i would collected it and myself too...missed it by about a meter in my case.

Hitting any object at 50mph plus is no laughing matter and can in extreme cases cause severe injury and even death.

as far as your head is concerned, i had .8mm taken off my stock 1300 head and it bumped it up to 140psi from its stock 125-130 odd....your comp sounds way off, are you sure your comp gauge is working correctly and did you have the throtle wide open when you tested each pot?

Well what was for dinner?

guage

I'm going to get a new compression guage soon as mine are about 20 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by syclonedriver View Post
    I'm going to get a new compression guage soon as mine are about 20 years old.
    good! cause those #'s were scary! but I wasn't going to say anything cause it looked like it was running OK! so I was guessing gauge issues

duck 4 dinner

I tried to talk the wife into having the duck for dinner but no luck. We had pizza instead.

lol!

got new guage & new #s

I got a new compression guage and better numbers. All #s were between 132 & 138psi. This looks much better. Then I reinstalled and indexed the iridium plugs. I should have better #s on the water next time.

About the duck. I should have made a slow pass first to check for hazards, but the sun as setting & I wanted to test. It could have been much worse.

Mo better for sure!!

+1
    ...not on my ski....but one time when i was riding my old Motorcycle...a large pelican was flying slightly over head in front of me at about 30mph....i thought ..."wow that is cool!" ....when all of a sudden he let out a cache of pelican poop....and it hit me right in the face.....stung like HELL for a minute or two....lol...lesson learned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information