polaris sl780 cuts out but starts right back up?

Hello again!

I finally got my polaris up and running after your great advice .
    After disconnecting the grey wire that you guys reccomended, i took the ski to my local lake to try and get a first full throttle ride and boy did i get it. Since buying it i really didnt know what to expect power and speed wise but all i can say is i couldnt get the smile off my face. I put her in the water expecting her to let me down again but boy what a toy! Me and my lady had a great day on the water!

The only problem i had was when i was pulling us both at full throttle for a reasonably long time (20-30 secs) it would cut out but start right back up. this would only happen when we had been riding for a while and only when two of us were riding! I was presuming that it was overheating given the circumstances but i could not confirm this as the display was not working due to a blown fuse which i hadnt got round to replacing!

I was wondering if you guys had experienced this problem and had any suggestions?

Thanks

Jamie

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    That does sound like an overheat situation . Check all your cooling hoses and thermostat for obstructions.

You may want to take a look at the cylinder walls for damage.

And get that 1/4 amp fuse replaced. Radio Shack sells them.

+1
    I wouldn't be riding it if it cuts out like that.
    Find out why it's hitting the limiter and correct the issue before you have a smoked engine.

Quote Originally Posted by polaris View Post
    Hello again!

I finally got my polaris up and running after your great advice .
    After disconnecting the grey wire that you guys reccomended, i took the ski to my local lake to try and get a first full throttle ride and boy did i get it. Since buying it i really didnt know what to expect power and speed wise but all i can say is i couldnt get the smile off my face. I put her in the water expecting her to let me down again but boy what a toy! Me and my lady had a great day on the water!

The only problem i had was when i was pulling us both at full throttle for a reasonably long time (20-30 secs) it would cut out but start right back up. this would only happen when we had been riding for a while and only when two of us were riding! I was presuming that it was overheating given the circumstances but i could not confirm this as the display was not working due to a blown fuse which i hadnt got round to replacing!

I was wondering if you guys had experienced this problem and had any suggestions?

Thanks

Jamie
    did you not touch the motor and feel it? when you suspect it of running too hot/overheating touch the cylinders/heads. If you leave a piece of your skin on the motor after you have touched it. its running too hot. or if you sprinkle some water on the motor and it sizzles its running too hot.

maybe your problem is fuel delivery.

had the exact same problem

I had the same issue on my 96 780SLT. Was not running hot, heads were always normal temp when it happened. It would run fine, but sometimes in a sharp turn or when hitting a wake, or some other seemingly minor jolt to the hull, it would just shut off like you hit the kill button.

Always would immediately re-start with a flick of the starter.

Ended up being a loose wire with a bit of corrosion on the main connector board (obviously some water in there at some point). I ended up just cleaning all the contacts and putting things back together with a good coat of dielectric grease and it has never given me a problem since.

Might be worth a 10-20 minute job/inspection on yours.

Hi all and thanks for the replies!

It sounds exactly like kandas problems! But i will feel the cylinder heads next time im out on the water as im now worried about the potential expensive problems caused by overheating!

Im kinda worried that im gonna be learning lessons with my jet ski that can end up pretty expensive! But im also glad that ive got alot of great help from a lot of great guys (and gals) on this site to help me through!

A big thanks to you all

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'd suggest not running wide open throttle until you figure it out.

Lean on fuel will result in piston damage.

Overheat will lead to piston and cylinder damage with possible head warpage.

Thread Information