+1

Saltwater Verses Freshwater

Where do you run the fastest with no changes except dropping craft in freshwater and then saltwater ?? At around sealevel for the fresh to keep variables to a mimimum ...

The specific gravity of sewater is around 1.025 (dependant on salinity, temperature and pressure but close enough for the question).

Does it differing from 1.000 (pure water) really make a difference that can be seen on a GPS ?

Is it a more accurate "topend result" because in fresh there is no tidal, current or wind influence (usually) ?

Does the seawater being denser make the hull sit higher in the water for a faster result ??? More buoyant ?

Regards
    Anthony

My ski runs faster in salt water... I have tried lakes,brackish, and salt rpms are higher in salt. The redness of my eyes are higher in salt too thats why I dont go all the way into the gulf..

drinking salt water makes me spew faster

I have tested this, I know the boat sits higher in salt water and hull gets less friction, my boat ALWAYS ALWAYS runs 1mph slower in the salt, fresh water to me had a 1mph higher reading on gps at sea level, this was my findings for me. Everytime I read people going faster in salt I am shocked because that does not work the same for me,

+1
    It's not the buoyancy, it's the density..after much hullabaloo and actual testing, many have found that fresh water is faster because of the density factor. I remember when Kerry left here from Florida running like 83+mph and was kind of confused at why the drop in speed, well on the way back from Tennessee he stopped by a fresh water lake and immediately picked up 1mph.

I did the same thing last June when I went to a lake up in our north county, I knew that I would be able to run faster at Mudbug with my ski because they have freshwater after running a faster speed at that lake. That lake is like 2 hours away from here.

+1
    My wifes new FX Cruiser kinda bears out the fresh as better. Speed listed for the FX is 58-59mph and she has run a 59.76 with a stock craft in fresh.

The tank had 12 gals of fuel onboard and she weighs 130lb. Will try it in salt next ...

She is a founding member of the "Australian Women's 70mph Club" ... has run a 70.8mph on Johnjet's GP.

Not too shabby for a beginner skier ... only had her first ever go on a ski a year ago !! She's addicted now though ....

Anthony

Thread Information