Where the river meets the sea... Rogue Worx's Avatar

Rock stuck in my 250's pump....

Now that I have some free time I need to do some work on my ski so I can get back on her... Looks like I need to take the vane apart to get this rock out. It got stuck behind the impeller and won't pass the vane. Done all the tricks I know and just can't get it out. The fact is I should replace the vane and the impeller after the season I've had on the river this year, lot's a stuff blown through it... What tools do you need, are there better aftermarket parts to replace what I'm taken out... Also I nailed the hull and will be doing some work on that as well, thinking of skining it with kevlar, any thoughts....

Dammit boy! Did you plant anything after all the plowing you did this season?! Look around in 250X forum, knowledge is abundant. I've heard of several options on hull repair, but fiberglass works best for me. It adheres to original glass in hull and gelcote/paint adhere much better. But you'll find many that work. Just hit the "search" port.

I don't know if I planted anything but I'm sure I cut some chanels for the salmon to go up river.... Thanks for the advise. I plan on healing it over on it's side on top of some hay bails so I can work on the pump and the hull at the same time.

Whatever brand pump/impeller you may replace with, you MUST apply the sealant in the area carefully - not too much, not tool litte - as exactly as it was there before to prevent cavitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Worx View Post
    I don't know if I planted anything but I'm sure I cut some chanels for the salmon to go up river.... Thanks for the advise. I plan on healing it over on it's side on top of some hay bails so I can work on the pump and the hull at the same time.
    If you have a cherry picker and strong rope, with a little fabrication and 2 steel rings [so you can adjust ropes] a nice ski hanger can be built that will allow you to lift ski even or tilt nose and ass to any position for hull work or pump work. I've also seen a stand built with wood or metal and PVC pipe that will allow ski to be 2 to 5 feet off ground [adjustable]. Or you can stack enough hay bales...LOL

+1
    Would it be possible to use a vibrating tool on the rock? I have a Fein Multimaster ($$$) that can do unusual things like this. Perhaps one of those vibrating marking tools or a MotoTool could loosen or break up the rock.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Would it be possible to use a vibrating tool on the rock? I have a Fein Multimaster ($$$) that can do unusual things like this. Perhaps one of those vibrating marking tools or a MotoTool could loosen or break up the rock.
    I figure by the time you gain access to where you can use it, just a couple more bolts and the pump can be pulled. Then you can eyeball the damage the rock did to blade and pump housing.

When the rock got stuck I was on my way to work. My wife was about 25 miles up river at our camp site. When I finally got home the clock was ticking and I had to get back to my wife before dark. I ran into town and got two things, the longest chisel I could find and a raft. I beat on the rock for about an hour with no luck but was concerned about doing more damage to the pump. With a little more than an hour before sunset I packed two kayacks and the raft in the truck and headed up river. Put in about two miles above our camp site, got to her before dark... Ended up having a great trip after all....

That's all that matters! Now you can find time to break it down and get a better view.

Thread Information