Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Removing the Coolant Temperature Sensor

I have an 08 RXP and I believe I have a bum CTS. I want to remove it and check the resistance.

How much coolant am I looking at spilling out when I remove this? I removed the bleed hose and the stuff was shooting out for the most part so I haulted for the moment.

Should be an easy removal...some mess yes and then re-install? Anything I'm overlooking?

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    take the bung out of the middle of the ride plate and drain off some coolant about a litre will be enough then tip it back in when one saves getting it all through the hull.
    I havnt seen the sensors fail what leads you to think its faulty?

Can't you remove the connector and check the sensor with a VOM while it's still in the engine?... Ron

Here is the scenario...and I'm fishing at this point for lack of better direction from the dealer or elsewhere.

Its a brand new 08 RXPX. I have 3 hours on it. From the get go, I noticed that after 10 mins of run time, the beeper starts going off sporadically. There is no pattern to the beeps. They could be 2 seconds long or they could be just a split second. There could be one long 3 second beep or 3 short beeps or a mixture of the all of the above. There is no uniform duration between the beeps. There is no message on the dash either. It happens at idle and at any RPM for that matter. The ski also never enters into limp mode and it runs perfect throughout this ordeal. I took the ski in to be read on the B.U.D.S. and there are no faults that were logged. All engine parameters checked out and nothing was out of line.

The dealer had not seen this before and as a last guess, they said, maybe its the beeper that is faulty. I argued this with them that the beeping only starts AFTER the ski gets up to temp...roughly 10 mins after starting. To me, this indicates that some temp sensor somewhere is generating a signal to the MPEM to issue a beep. They said a fault would be recorded if that was the case. In addition, on page 188 of the service manual it says..."In case of overheating, EGTS and CTS do not generate fault codes".

I'm left to believe that since the only thing that is constant is the fact that the beeping starts AFTER the ski gets up to temp, some temp sensor is perhaps the culprit.

I have an 08 RXP and was thinking to swap the temp sensors, starting with the CTS to see if I can get to the problem by process of elimination.

Do you have any thoughts or input or experience on this? It's ticking me off that the dealer simply resorts to a faulty buzzer. In my mind, he might as well have advised to cut the beeper wires and that will solve the problem of sporadic beeps.

If you have an 08 RXP also, that's definitely the way to go. Swap out sensors and such until the problem moves itself to the other Other ski, then you have your culprit, if it is a sensor. I know it sucks to be without your ski, but I would just have left it at the dealer, and make THEM fix it.

I probably should have left it with the dealer with instructions to fix it or I don't want to see it. Problem is, I think the latter would be realized...I wouldn't see it for weeks at which time they would claim they need to do more troubleshooting in the water and with the weather turning...it would then be, "winterize it and bring back next spring."

I am thinking I could take a shot at this simple approach in the meantime.

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    In my mind, he might as well have advised to cut the beeper wires and that will solve the problem of sporadic beeps.

in 98 I bought my xpl and that was thier awnser back then too...
    "unhook the beeper till SD releases a ecu software upgrade"

the first batch of the xp limited's in 98 thought they where all out of fuel.. it was a glitch in the programs.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    start with the EGT sensor... they fail OFTEN

the coolant temp sensor is a rare one, have only seen one go bad... but the exhaust ones go bad very very often, do at least a dozen of them each year on customers skis

Good input.

Since I'm in the office right now...where is the EGT sensor located and is it accessible without removing the hull cowling?

Tom

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    one temp sensor is right at the top of the head where the hoses to the wp are.

the exhaust sensor is right in the waterbox near the outlet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information