Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Domestic triple cool air intake - Ficht flame arrestor cover options?

Since my Virage TXi engine compartment gets fairly warm, I was toying with the idea of feeding cooler outside air more directly into the flame arrestor.

The stock Virage TXi hull has a pair of large flexible ventilation ducts, so routing one of those to more directly feed the engine should provide cooler intake air temps.

I will make provision for keeping water spray (or inadvertent hull inversion) from being ducted into the engine.

Feeding cooler air into the engine should allow the Ficht system to automatically richen fuel delivery, thereby boosting peak power output (or so my thinking goes).

All my Polaris are fuel injected, so I am not looking for a higher flow aftermarket flame arrestor, per se.

The stock flame arrestor cover is just a big flared plastic rectangle, open on all sides to the engine compartment. That makes it difficult to introduce outside air in an effective manner.

I am wondering what Polaris, or other brand, FA covers would fit in place of the stock domestic cover, which would give me an single end fitting to feed the cool air into.

The older blue Fuji FA intakes are shaped that way, but I don't know if they would even fit on a domestic motor, let alone flow properly for an injected 1200.

I expect minor modifications will be needed to adapt the Ficht air temp sensor mounting to a FA intended for carbs.

BTW, what carb make/model/size ARE the Polaris Ficht throttle bodies based on?

+1
    On my Virage TX, I have added a third air intake located on the right side of the front part of the seat, which matches the left side location. This allows me to direct a intake tube right to the front of the carbs/air intake. Maybe this might work for you instead of trying to come up with something different for the f/a.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JetskiMN View Post
    On my Virage TX, I have added a third air intake located on the right side of the front part of the seat, which matches the left side location.
    This allows me to direct a intake tube right to the front of the carbs/air intake...
    The ducting would bring the outside air to the front of the stock FA, but the stock FA would still be drawing warm air from the sides and rear.

My thinking is that I need to exclude (block off) the warm engine compartment air, as much as I need to introduce the cooler outside air to the engine.

Do you have any pictures of your air intake where it feeds the engine?

+1
    I will post a pic when I get a chance. I know others have done things to allow the warm air to escape the hull by adding openings in the back. Send a message to TXpro1200 (Doug) as I beleive he has done this on his Virage TX.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

beating a dead horse

to do what you're saying you'll need to move all the inlet hoses very close to the f/a or fabricate a box around it so you can plumb the hoses into it,before i went to that kind of trouble why don't you find out what the temps are first???the cb'd 2 strokes are a much cooler running setup,only at idle will the temps come up inside the hull with the added air inlet,with the fi stuff the motor is kept at 165 degrees??you could add the air inlet,then on the center one under the handlebars,add a bilge blower and extended the duct to somewhere in the back of the ski,that type of cross airflow in the hull should get you much lower temps inside the hull,would be an easier thing to setup and take out if it didn't make a difference

Thread Information