Installing s/s intake grate

I got my stainless steel intake grate last week and it came with four 8mm bolts.
    The original grate is bolted on with 6mm bolts.
    Whats the best way to bolt it on,i would rather use the 8mm bolts (wich i replaced for stainless),as they are a lot stronger and with the grate being heavier i would need it.
    Do i need to just drill and tap it out to 8mm or is there some other way around it??

Moderated
    drill and tap mark.

the thread is m8 x 1.25mm, i am going to do mine during the week as well but its pretty straight forward.

Thanks izzo
    Is that all 4 holes,because the front two could have a stainless plate put in there to replace the original mount.

Drill and tap the rear bolts in the pump shoe, but it is reccomended to replace the front mount inserts with a new oversize insert/mount. See WFO, he has a nice setup to install, just put mine in last weekend. Takes an hour or 2 to install but well worth it..

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60479

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    Drill and tap the rear bolts in the pump shoe, but it is reccomended to replace the front mount inserts with a new oversize insert/mount. See WFO, he has a nice setup to install, just put mine in last weekend. Takes an hour or 2 to install but well worth it..

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60479
    +1 on this method

Just finished,i will try it out tomorrow morning.I see what you mean with the front two bolts,there isnt much clearance on the original mounts at the front once you drill it out to tap and because its brass its pretty soft so you have to be carefull drilling it out. .I have got a 6mm stainless plate made up and will use that, its already drilled and tapped ready to go on.

+1
    set the side to side gap on the wings of the grate to the hull(inner tunnel) with feeler gauges...tighten then remove gauges and check it aint moved by checking again with gauges on set gap..then re check to be sure

99 % of the guys know this but it might help 1 person so i thought i would post it..

Thread Information