Broke Bolt putting cylinder head back on.. HELP!

HELP!.
    I broke one of my cylinder head bolts while torqueing to the specified settings. It was on the second cycle of torque that the # 3 bolt broke off in the head...

So I know I am going to have to tap it out, but is there anything that i should look for now that I need to pull this stupid bolt out? I just called my local shop and had them order me all new bolts (a little late now i guess)
    Manual doesnt say anything about replacing the bolts but from now on that is a rule I am going to follow.. it just twisted right off.
    I have the head cover off, what would you all recommend using to protect the piston etc..? I don't want to get all sorts of shavings in there pulling this out....

+1
    get some gaffa tape or painters tape and tape the lot up..other bolt holes/water hole/tops of pistons,also make a skirt around the area your working on so if any swarf is generated it dont get blown into your hull and picked up later and sucked into air box/filter..
    if you cant get the bolt with vice grips and its snapped off sub flush i would try a easy out but be carefull

Yes it did break off flush....

+1
    so its a easy out (i'm from the uk so not sure if you call them the same)
    or try to soak it in a little plus gas or wd40 and with a small sharp chisel tap it in a anti clock direction but i dont think you will have any luck but its worth a try...
    or remove the cylinder and get a local machine shop to spark errode it out,might be the best way and a lot cleaner and less stress if your not over happy about doing it yourself...

+1
    Have you ever had the head cut? IF so, you might be bottoming out the bolt if you didn't use an extra washer to make up for the amount cut. If you pull the head, you might find that you can carefully unscrew the bolt with an automatic punch, lining up on the outer diameter and punching it counter clock wise. That bolt piece should not be tight, because the tension of tightness "should" just be from clamping the head down and not because of tightness of the threads.

got it guys.. thanks.. I just put a little liquid wrench around it let it soak while i dug around for the extractor bit.. I don't know why the thing broke off really.. It was pretty loose when I was putting it in.. Just happened to have a weak spot on the bolt I guess..

Thread Information