Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sport bikes

sport bikes

Im kinda thinking of buying a sport bike in the next few months. But dont know too much about them really. Im looking to buy new but probably slightly used since Ive never owned on or even ridden a real sport bike. Kinda leaning towards kawasaki's since that is the brand of my jetskis and Im happy with those. It wont be my daily transportation either.

Any ideas, comments, tips, recommendations? I dont think I need a huge 1000cc bike to be happy, but also think a 250cc or so wont satisfy me after a few months and some riding experience. I see alot of brand new 250s for sale, obviously unhappy buyers. I was thinking maybe around 600cc?

I know a few of you on here know alot about bikes and would really appreciate your assistance.

also, what is considered "high mileage" for a motorcycle?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dreww View Post
    I didn't want to hijack the other motorcycle thread....

Im kinda thinking of buying a sport bike in the next few months. But dont know too much about them really. Im looking to buy new but probably slightly used since Ive never owned on or even ridden a real sport bike. Kinda leaning towards kawasaki's since that is the brand of my jetskis and Im happy with those. It wont be my daily transportation either.

Any ideas, comments, tips, recommendations? I dont think I need a huge 1000cc bike to be happy, but also think a 250cc or so wont satisfy me after a few months and some riding experience. I see alot of brand new 250s for sale, obviously unhappy buyers. I was thinking maybe around 600cc?

I know a few of you on here know alot about bikes and would really appreciate your assistance.

also, what is considered "high mileage" for a motorcycle?

i start with a 250 and take the motorcycle safety course. at least with a cheap to 250 or ex500 even if it doesnt have enogh power while you learn if you drop it no biggy really

i personally started off with a 2001 cbr f4i though. its nice starter bike then other 600s i think. it gives you some sport and some comfort. the power band in the lower rpm rage is tame and smooth. after 8k though the bike is a lot of fun. i think 600 is more then any one really needs but thats my opinion.

here is a pic of my old bike

make sure you get all your gear. helmet,gloves,jacket, boots, and pants.

thanks for the comments.

I thought a 1500cc n/a jetski would be enough, but would always like more. lol Im assuming most all sport bikes are smooth and steady under 8K but scream in the upper rpm's.

I dont know if it matters, but im a bigger guy too. 6'1" and about 220lbs. Not sure if that makes a difference when it comes to cycle models.

+1
    thanks for the comments.

I thought a 1500cc n/a jetski would be enough, but would always like more. lol Im assuming most all sport bikes are smooth and steady under 8K but scream in the upper rpm's.

I dont know if it matters, but im a bigger guy too. 6'1" and about 220lbs. Not sure if that makes a difference when it comes to cycle models.
    yah well i haven't ridden a rxp but trust me bikes are a lot different. you will be surprised with a modern 600. a cbr f4i can get up to 158 mph and can do the quarter i believe in 12-13 seconds.

size doesn't really mater. big guys seem to always think they need larger bikes for some reason. im pretty sure the dimensions are the same for 600 and 1000 bikes could be wrong though.

i forgot to comment on the reliability and life. sport bikes require a lot of maintenance in my experience. how every they can have very long lifes. there was a guy on the cbrfourm who had over 100,000 miles on his f4i.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    yah well i haven't ridden a rxp but trust me bikes are a lot different. you will be surprised with a modern 600. a cbr f4i can get up to 158 mph and can do the quarter i believe in 12-13 seconds.

size doesn't really mater. big guys seem to always think they need larger bikes for some reason. im pretty sure the dimensions are the same for 600 and 1000 bikes could be wrong though.

i forgot to comment on the reliability and life. sport bikes require a lot of maintenance in my experience. how every they can have very long lifes. there was a guy on the cbrfourm who had over 100,000 miles on his f4i.
    I didnt think rider size mattered that much. Im sure I could live with a 500cc.

okay, this is what im talking about....can you elaborate on the maintenance. This is stuff no one else talks about and its the stuff Im more interested in. I work on my own cars and jetskis but bikes are another beast. and are any brands more reliable in your opinion?

+1
    I didnt think rider size mattered that much. Im sure I could live with a 500cc.

okay, this is what im talking about....can you elaborate on the maintenance. This is stuff no one else talks about and its the stuff Im more interested in. I work on my own cars and jetskis but bikes are another beast. and are any brands more reliable in your opinion?
    well from talking to people about there bikes each bike has its problems. and i love working on my cars at least my 95 camaro and my corvette. but i hated that bike. working on a motorcycle to me was a btch. most times i took it to the shop.

every 16k miles you have to have the valves relashed cause they have solid lifters. you go through tires about every 3-5k depending on type and the way you ride it cost any where from 25-50 bucks for mounting the tires usually 50 bucks though. the chain has to be replaced every 12k but also varies on the way you ride the type of chain and how you take care of it. when you change the chain you also have to change the sprockets. i had the dealer do mine becuase i didn't have a chain tool. cost me 320 i think.
    my head bearing( or the bearing in the steering neck) was going that was gona be a 300-400 dollar repair but i sold the bike. i know there was more stuff but i forgot.

i also had wiring problems with the f4i but i found and fixed that my self. also the caming chain tentioner seems to be a common problem across the board. i was talking to my freind about his 08 gixxer 750 and he said he was reading and said they have the same problem.

there a lot of fun but there toys in my opinion. oh i recommend getting theft insurance. and the sr-i500 is a wicked alarm system i had one loved it.

Any bike is plenty fast for you. My first bike, was a ninja 500 [EX500]. It was considered a 'slow' sport bike but according to the manufacturers specs, it was a 12 second bike. I drove it for about a year and then bought a CBR 929. I now have a Kawasaki Z1000 (which im in love with!)

The only drawback to buying something that is 250/500ccs is that the bikes are small. If you are a big guy, you may be uncomfortable on it. You may also feel uncomfortable rolling down the street with people who have bigger bikes. An older 600 like that F4i is a great choice. You will fit right in with the others.

I would advise you to buy something cheap and be conservative. If you can save a lot of money by buying one that has been laid down and has some scrapes and bruises, go for it. This way if you ever have to lay it down, it wont break your heart.

In response to your question above, all of the Japanese bikes have great reliability if you take care of them.

I started off on a 99 GSXR 600 and put about 10000 miles on it before i sold it. Was a great bike, just had to change the oil which was easy, i ended up putting a new chain and front and rear sprocket on it, new brakes, new clutch cable. Thats about it for needed maintanence. I did all the work myself, it wasnt too hard at all. I got the bike with 15000 so it had 25000, maybe a little more when i sold it. The guy i sold it to is 6'3" about 225ish and rides it all the time. He fits on it fine as he has been riding it this whole summer.

There alot of fun to have and get great gas milage, my old gsxr got around 38-40 no matter how much i beat on it, which was alot . The only thing i would look for is make sure you get a fuel injected bike cuz the carburated ones suck in the cooler weather in the early mornings. I now have a v-rod which is also fast but i dont think it would have been smart to start on that since its heavier by 200lbs and has alot more torque.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information