+1

Question off on switch SHOULD IT BE USED OR not?

on my 1200 gpr i have a on off switch and reserve. i always put mine to off when i am done using the ski. Burt lately i have noticed that my ski takes longer to start up then my buddies (same ski that leaves his switch to on everytime? ideas shout them out-

+1
    a wise man once told me he could set my new carbs up duel fuel and i assume do away with the fuel tap if i required but i kept it stock as i had just bought a new tap in the rebuild,mine is off went in the garage not in use,
    have you got a primer kit fitted if not look into one there great for the slugish starters

I just leave mine on. When it's been sitting for a few days I have to crank it for a few seconds to get it to catch. The fuel in the carbs evaporates eventually.

My boat does the same thing (actual boat, not a PWC) with a carter / weber 4 bbl. on it, but only when it's been sitting for at least a week. More fuel in the bowls takes longer to evaporate.

+1
    I no longer leave mine on (at least on longer shutdowns than just daily), since a leaking carb seat caused enough fuel to leak into the crankcase that I hydrolocked on fuel, ending up with a bent rod, that later caused a tremendous amount of damage. I should have seen the signs, running richer on that cyl at idle, and the starter one time turning over about 1/2 turn in the morning before locking up. I later could start it fine(after the fuel bled past the rings) however, the bent rod gave up the ghost on a speed run a couple of weeks later.

Good point LT1. I'll keep that in mind next time I park my ski!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    I no longer leave mine on (at least on longer shutdowns than just daily), since a leaking carb seat caused enough fuel to leak into the crankcase that I hydrolocked on fuel, ending up with a bent rod, that later caused a tremendous amount of damage. I should have seen the signs, running richer on that cyl at idle, and the starter one time turning over about 1/2 turn in the morning before locking up. I later could start it fine(after the fuel bled past the rings) however, the bent rod gave up the ghost on a speed run a couple of weeks later.
    crazy stuff, same thing was happening/happened to my streetbike. The mechanic said mine was caused from ethanol

+1
    i was going to comment on that, whenever the ethanol blended fuels are involved the fuel "ages" quicker (goes bad) making the motor in question harder to start. and the smaller the quantity the quicker it goes bad. the smaller the float bowl the quicker she turns and with diaphram pumping carbs (no float bowl) the fuel quantity left after shutdown is even smaller than the float bowl carbs. but LT1GMC makes a good point, either way hydrolocking is a bad word!

Quote Originally Posted by fenn View Post
    crazy stuff, same thing was happening/happened to my streetbike. The mechanic said mine was caused from ethanol

There is no winter in Hawaii! tnerb's Avatar
    I leave mine on since I run it almost every weekend and the new valve I bought to replace the stuck one will not engage in the hull so it just spins with the knob anyway. Since my recent carb rebuild I have not had any problem starting (using the choke). We have a 10% ethanol blends and I always fill up after we ride to eliminate as much air as possible from the tank plus I do my best to empty the tank every weekend to get rid of the old gas . Works for me.

Thread Information