Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gas Tank Empty/Full When Winterizing?

With my 1300, I have about 150 psi and run pre-mix. Always 93 without ethanol. What is thought on storing empty or full?

If empty is the route to go, how to go about emptying the tank? Thanks.

+1
    Store it full and put in a fuel stabilizer. Run it for a while to run the new fuel through the carbs also. You can use a product from Sta-Bil http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/stabil_marine.htm or AMSOIL just to name 2. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ast.aspx

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Lots of threads already on winterizing, just search.

Since you don't have ethanol in the gasoline, storing with the tank full seems to be the best option, especially since your tank is not currently empty.

Per the other threads, stabilize the fuel and fill the tank, then run the engine enough to distribute the stabilizer through the fuel system. Winterize the machine per the manufacturer recommendations and the other threads.

+1
    Store it for the winter EMPTY. Take the second cap of the top of the gas tank and siphon it out.
    When spring comes fill it with nice new fresh gas. Done this for the last 10+ years.

Can't speak about storing empty, but have stored for over 15 years...full and with Stabil. NEVER had a fuel problem or moisture in the tank/filter. Just my $/02...

+1
    Why is using MARINE Formula STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment a better way to store fuel than draining it from the fuel tank and fuel system?MARINE Formula STA-BIL should be used to store fuel in tanks, rather than draining fuel for several reasons. First, it is nearly impossible to get all of the fuel out of the fuel tank and fuel system simply by draining. To remove all of the fuel, the fuel lines and all of the fuel system components must be blown out or enough fuel will remain to cause gun and varnish to form. It is usually difficult to dispose of the drained fuel in an environmentally correct manner. Second, draining fuel exposes the bare metal in the tank and the fuel system to air and moisture that causes corrosion. Third, gaskets and seals may dry out or crack, leading to leaks when the tank and fuel system is refilled. The best solution is to fill the tank 95% full with fresh fuel and to immediately treat the fresh fuel with STA-BIL.

+1
    Store it full with Sta-Bil marine. I have always thought condensation has a better chance to build up with the tank empty.

I know its sounds crazy but after storing full when summerizing I would drain anywhere from all to 10 gallons out and stick it in your car. This way you can refill with nice fresh gas.

Does anyone use seafoam instead of stabil in there fuel? The guy at the NAPA store sugested I use the seafoam instead.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    Why is using MARINE Formula STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment a better way to store fuel than draining it from the fuel tank and fuel system?MARINE Formula STA-BIL should be used to store fuel in tanks, rather than draining fuel for several reasons. First, it is nearly impossible to get all of the fuel out of the fuel tank and fuel system simply by draining. To remove all of the fuel, the fuel lines and all of the fuel system components must be blown out or enough fuel will remain to cause gun and varnish to form. It is usually difficult to dispose of the drained fuel in an environmentally correct manner. Second, draining fuel exposes the bare metal in the tank and the fuel system to air and moisture that causes corrosion. Third, gaskets and seals may dry out or crack, leading to leaks when the tank and fuel system is refilled. The best solution is to fill the tank 95% full with fresh fuel and to immediately treat the fresh fuel with STA-BIL.
    Great advertisement for the amsoil.

Fresh gas in spring to me is better than gas that has been sitting for 6+ months.
    I guess like anything else everyone has there own way.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedJunky View Post
    Great advertisement for the amsoil.

Fresh gas in spring to me is better than gas that has been sitting for 6+ months.
    I guess like anything else everyone has there own way.

I do not get it. This information is from Sta-Bil not from AMSOIL. Not tring to push products just give out information. Sta-Bil is a good product and has been around for a long time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information