Unhappy 96 GTX - Water in the oil!

Hi guys, I'm looking for a little help with my 96 GTX. It's been a pain in the a** since I got it - rave valves, wear ring etc.
    So, I decided to do a top end rebuild. Initially, I replaced the pistons with .50 oversized pistons (as per the bore). However, what I didn't realize was that the rave valves had to be milled too. So I popped the cylinders off again & found that the pistons were toast! I'd had maybe 15 minutes riding on them.
    So, I changed the cylinders for standard size, fitted new pistons, torqued everything down & tried to start the ski.
    Every time I tried, it did nothing. I took the plugs out & found that they were wet - but not with fuel.
    It took a little while for the penny to drop - I had water in the crank!
    It's a long story as to how, but I think I've worked it out.
    I went back to the old pistons & found there were serious striations on the piston walls - water damage!

So today I've taken the engine out, drained the oil (not easy as there's no drain valve on the 800) and refitted the engine.
    However, when turning the engine without the plugs in, there's still water coming out of the cylinders. Not much, more like a spray than a jet, but it's water all the same.
    When the plugs are in, the engine doesn't want to turn over. Some of this is down to low battery I know, but I think there's still some form of hydrolock there too.
    What else can I do to clear this fault? I'm at a total loss as to what else to do.
    All suggestions gratefuly recieved.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    When you pull the cylinders the residual water in the bottom of them drains into the crankcase. You are supposed to get this out immediately. When you didn't you rusted the crank bearings.

If you damaged the base gasket when you reinstalled the cylinders water will again get into the crankcase. How about the orings at the top of the sleeves?

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    When you pull the cylinders the residual water in the bottom of them drains into the crankcase. You are supposed to get this out immediately. When you didn't you rusted the crank bearings.

If you damaged the base gasket when you reinstalled the cylinders water will again get into the crankcase. How about the orings at the top of the sleeves?

Thanks for the feedback.
    When I refitted the cylinders, I fitted new base gaskets, O rings etc.
    Thankfully, the crank bearings seem ok. I've filled the crank up with fresh oil too, so now I just need to get the residual water out of the cylinders and get her fired up.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Pull your rotary valve cover off, with the carbs on it. Get a 2' long piece of 3/8" fuel hose and duct tape it to your shop vac hose. Turn it on and slip it between the crank weights to the bottom of each case. Turn crank as needed to gain access.

Update

Ok, here's a quick update.
    I went up to the garage today to try again. I'd left the plugs out, and had the battery on charge overnight.
    Today, she cranked ok with the plugs out, but when I tried with the plugs in, she wouldn't move. Not only that, but the starter motor bendix would just grate against the flywheel for several attempts before engaging properly.

I ended up taking the head off to look at the pistons. From what I can see, I think I've got the worst of the water out now. With the head off, I cranked the engine a few times & there is a small amount of liquid coming up with the pistons. It's only a small amount which forms a slight ring around the top of the cylinder. It's a little bit brown, but that's par for the course I think. Just a few tiny droplets of water in the oil on the top of the cylinder - nothing too much to worry about.
    I did check the plugs for spark, which was weak & intermittent.
    I'm not sure where to go with this now. I'm thinking that I need to pull the starter motor and clean up the bendix gear, then check the starter for correct operation.
    I'm planning on testing the battery under load to see what the volt meter reads. If the battery is losing power then I 'll substitute the battery for a higher power battery. Hopefully this will cure the weak spark & the cranking problem.
    If that fails I don't know what else to do. Maybe I'll end up parting the ski out & selling the parts on ebay. It's probably worth more for parts than as a whole non-runner.
    Any further suggestions will be gratefully recieved.

Smile

seadoos need a fully charged battery to spin them over fast enough for good spark.SEadoos are strange animals if you dont know how to work on them.Some great boat mechanics even screw up when trying to rebuild a rotax.From your posts and the way they are worded,you either need to get the help of someone familar with rotax repair, or get a shop manual and a friend who is very mechanically inclined and put it together step by step as outlined in the manual,cutting no corners, you dont need to fill crankcase it fills from oil tank,and there should be no brown water or rust on top of pistons,there should be no water at all,even if you left the water in crankshaft area from removing cylinders the small amount that does get in there should be long gone by now.Please get a manual and save yourself lots of headaches.It is not my intention to hurt your feelings or put you down.But rotax engine is no place for a non mechanically inclined person to tread without a full shop manual,and proper tools.JMHO>Marvin
    Quote Originally Posted by skiversinc View Post
    Ok, here's a quick update.
    I went up to the garage today to try again. I'd left the plugs out, and had the battery on charge overnight.
    Today, she cranked ok with the plugs out, but when I tried with the plugs in, she wouldn't move. Not only that, but the starter motor bendix would just grate against the flywheel for several attempts before engaging properly.

I ended up taking the head off to look at the pistons. From what I can see, I think I've got the worst of the water out now. With the head off, I cranked the engine a few times & there is a small amount of liquid coming up with the pistons. It's only a small amount which forms a slight ring around the top of the cylinder. It's a little bit brown, but that's par for the course I think. Just a few tiny droplets of water in the oil on the top of the cylinder - nothing too much to worry about.
    I did check the plugs for spark, which was weak & intermittent.
    I'm not sure where to go with this now. I'm thinking that I need to pull the starter motor and clean up the bendix gear, then check the starter for correct operation.
    I'm planning on testing the battery under load to see what the volt meter reads. If the battery is losing power then I 'll substitute the battery for a higher power battery. Hopefully this will cure the weak spark & the cranking problem.
    If that fails I don't know what else to do. Maybe I'll end up parting the ski out & selling the parts on ebay. It's probably worth more for parts than as a whole non-runner.
    Any further suggestions will be gratefully recieved.

Thread Information