Winterizing a 155 NA

Hello,

Just looking for some help on winterizing procedure on a NA 155. I saw the thread in the FAQ section but it is mostly with the 215 models. I am quite a newbie when it comes to this so please bare with me. I know I need to change the oil which I get. The parts I need help with are:

1. where do I pour the antifreeze in so it gets into the exhaust manifold and how do I know I put enough in?

2. What does the "rail" look like I need to take off to fog the engine?

After removing the battery is there anything else I'm missing? I only have 50 hours on it, so I don't think I need to change the coolant.

Please help!

+1
    When you take the battery out, make sure you put it on a trickle charger. I don't take my battery out, but some people do. Some say it's bad to charge it while in the ski, but I've never had a problem.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    When you take the battery out, make sure you put it on a trickle charger. I don't take my battery out, but some people do. Some say it's bad to charge it while in the ski, but I've never had a problem.
    It's best to keep the battery out of cold weather... thats why they tell you to remove it If the ski is in a garage above freezing temperature there is no need to use anti-freeze in the exhaust system or remove the battery... just hook up a "battery tender" and your good!

Thanks for the battery info. guys. Since I'm up in Canada eh, I need to do the antifreeze part. Do I really need to force the antfreeze in with a pump like I've read or can I pour it in... if so where?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Thanks for the battery info. guys. Since I'm up in Canada eh, I need to do the antifreeze part. Do I really need to force the antfreeze in with a pump like I've read or can I pour it in... if so where?
    I just picked up one of the cheap drill attachment pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

Mikey:

I use a hand sprayer to winterize. On the right side of your pump (Looking from the back), you will see a garden hose fitting. That is normally for flushing, but you also use it for winterizing.....

I went to the hardware store and found a small fitting that reduces down from a garden hose to a much smaller diameter (That will fit on a hand pump style garden sprayer)

I then got a small OD clear plastic hose about a foot long and zip tied it onto the fitting.

The other end of that hose goes over the end of the sprayer (Take the end of the sprayer off so the spray goes in fast).

Fill the sprayer with about a half gallon of RV antifreeze. Pump up the sprayer.

put the fitting on the flush system.

Start the ski and the start the sprayer going, and keep pumping the sprayer until you see the RV antifreeze coming out of the exhaust non diluted.

Shut the ski off and your done.......

Thanks Jeff! Much appreciated. I will be building one of those this week. If anyone else has other suggestions pls chime in but I think I am good to go now.

Edited... got a drill pump to try as well.

Thread Information