Water leak question for Harry Klemm

Harry,
    I talked to you less than a year ago about water leaks and you told me about seeing leaks around the drive shaft. I wish I could remember exactly what you told me, but my memory is going bad. I do remember you telling me about leaving the ski strapped to the trailor and cranking the ski up to see where the water was coming from. If you read this could you please post the information that I should have written down.
    Thanks in advance.

Rich, I know it sounds crazy.but I found a hidden water leak , by lifting the front end up high,putting the trailer on a tall jackstand, then....................................filled the rear part up with water, of course I have drain plugs and an electric bilge, to get rid of it, but I got tired of looking for it, and the pressure of the weight of the water,slowly started seeping out it tokk a little while, it was the intermediate housing where it mounts to the hull, I would have never found it with out trying it....................

Re: Water leak question for Harry Klemm

Rich,
    The two ways we look for hard-to-find leaks is either filling the engine compartment (no higher than the carb mouths of course) while the boat sits on a work stand, or backing into water with a dryed out boat tied securely to the trailer. Sometimes a leak only takes place when the drivetrain is spinning, so it's sometimes neccesary to run the motor to mid-range rpms while tied to the trailer..... Have a really bright flashlight with you.
    Hope that helps, Harry Klemm

Quote Originally Posted by RichGPR
    Harry,
    I talked to you less than a year ago about water leaks and you told me about seeing leaks around the drive shaft. I wish I could remember exactly what you told me, but my memory is going bad. I do remember you telling me about leaving the ski strapped to the trailor and cranking the ski up to see where the water was coming from. If you read this could you please post the information that I should have written down.
    Thanks in advance.

+1
    Rich, I had a slow leak in my (then brand new) 2004 GP1300R. Not much, but was impossible to find. I thoroughly dried it out, then packed single sheets of newspaper around parts / in areas that I thought were 'likely spots'. I then lowered the boat in the water ... watched for five minutes ... nothing. It was tethered on the lift and I then just walked away for about 45 minutes. Came back and checked, one of the sheets of newspaper was a little wet ... the process worked good, could not find the leak any other way.

My actual leak likely won't help you, but it turned out to be the bilge pump hose (stock on my 2004). Before I got the boat, the hose that had been pinned high up in the hull had fallen down into the bottom. That hose has a 90 degree elbow with a small vent hole in it, and was attached high up in the hull with a glue tab setup. The glue failed, and I never saw it in its proper position, did not know it should be tied up high. When I found the leak, I looked at the elbow, realized it did not work sitting on the bottom, looked around and figured out where it had been, tied it up, and was bone dry from then on.

Thanks for all the replies, I think this thread will help others as well.

Thread Information