Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sl750 Reborn

+1

Sl750 Reborn

Okay guy's i am going to bring my 1995 SL750 back to life, the hull is in great shape and been stored and covered from day one. I broke the PTO rod four years ago and took out the cases. Rhislo sold me his cases from his parted out SLT780, but as i put it back together I would like to give it some kick. i would like to take it to sixty mph, Or at least close to it, without spending a bunch. i guess i will start by shaving the heads, (how many thousandths should i take?), staying with stock carbs (tweeked)and stock exhaust (i think). and when up and running i will pull the intake screen and turn up the fuel. i have a Dynamics intake grate which was useless on the stock ski but if i can make more H.P. it might be useful. is their a keyway for timing advance? i plan on cleaning up the ports myself before reinstalling the cylinders also.
    thanks

+1
    this is a pic of the dynamics grate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10-05-08_1101.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	98401  

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You won't see 60 MPH without serious work involved. That will run alot of $$$ to do that too.

Check out GroupK.com and see what was all involved to reach 60 MPH with a 750.

I've got a decently modified 750 with bolt ons and only runs 54 MPH on GPS.

Long story short, you want 60 MPH cheaply, buy another ski....

+1
    thanks for the info xlint89, i guess considering the fact that i have the complete ski here though, i will go ahead and build it anyway and maybe shoot for the low fifties then, I will be happy just to have a a strong running ski for my girlfriend to run, she's not a gofast kinda girl anyway. Any bolt on ideas would be appreciated. I think I have a set of OceanPros from an old SLX laying here, are they any better than just opening up the stock airbox?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    The O/p f/a's will be much better than the stock f/a. They will flow air better, so you may need larger jets too. You will certainly need to open the high spd adjusters some. May be able to get by w/ just that, but be sure to check the piston wash!

+1
    If you've got a SLX 780 laying around, put the extended jet pump set up on the 750. That'll give you more top speed without any engine work.

Hell, put the SLX ride plate on it too for faster planing and more top speed.

For more ideas, check out the projects section. I've got a nice reliable ski that performs well. I call it "her ride".

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    If you've got a SLX 780 laying around, put the extended jet pump set up on the 750. That'll give you more top speed without any engine work.

Hell, put the SLX ride plate on it too for faster planing and more top speed.

For more ideas, check out the projects section. I've got a nice reliable ski that performs well. I call it "her ride".
    thanks for the info, been out of town runnin the GPR so i havent been here in a couple days. i thought about the extension in the past but thought the lesser H.P. wouldn't push it. I will try that, especially with the bump in compression when i shave the heads, just not sure how much to take. also looking at using WSM piston and rod kits, does anybody know the quality of their stuff?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    The O/p f/a's will be much better than the stock f/a. They will flow air better, so you may need larger jets too. You will certainly need to open the high spd adjusters some. May be able to get by w/ just that, but be sure to check the piston wash!
    my intention was to open them up and figured that would be enough without the jet change, but i will definately watch the piston wash. any ideas out their on an impeller for a mild built 750?

+1
    Heads usually have reshaped domes when going to higher compression. Some guys have used a thinner head gasket to boost compression a little.

The wsm piston kits are pretty good from what I've read.

As for the impeller, I assume you want top speed over accel? Usually Nu Jet is the best for top speed. But you can try your SLX 780 impeller and see what you get.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    I increased my compression by splitting the 2 piece head gasket, and using a 1/64th" cyl base gasket. Before the head gasket split, and before my rings were seated, the compression was 130 on all 3. After the head gasket split I had 150 psi on all 3. Now that the rings are seated, I'm at 163-165#s. I am also using a 50-50 mix of 91 and 100 octane gas. I haven't had any problems w/ detonation. As soon as I get the carbs dialed in, I'm gunna try weening her off of the 100 little by little and recheck for signs of deto. My squish is 51 thousandths.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information