Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Need info on trailer tires wearing!

I have a triton pwc trailer (single pwc)the one that has a staight axel and leaf springs. I noticed both of my trailer tires are wearing the inside portion of the tire tread on both tires any idea on how to correct this problem. The wheels look like they are leaning in a few degrees at the tops , maby bend the axel up in the center to correct this , Has any one done this? Thanks

+1
    http://www.geocities.com/palmbeachbo...tructions.html

TIRES
    Tire wear / Uneven tire wear
    1. Check tire pressure.
    2. Check to see if an object (such as the fender) is rubbing against the tire when the boat is on the trailer.
    3. Check to see that the hubs do not have excessive wobble. This could indicate improperly packed hubs or wear on hub components. Loose bearings
    4. Check trailer capacity versus towing load.
    5. Check trailer alignment.
    6. Check spring mounting hardware

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    I have a triton pwc trailer (single pwc)the one that has a straight axle and leaf springs.
    I noticed both of my trailer tires are wearing the inside portion of the tire tread on both tires any idea on how to correct this problem.

The wheels look like they are leaning in a few degrees at the tops , maybe bend the axle up in the center to correct this , Has any one done this? Thanks
    Have you clipped any curbs or hit any huge potholes with the trailer?
    Is the axle bent, at either or both ends?
    Measure, rather than using your eye.

Check the specs regarding whether the axle is a straight design, or one that is purposely bent upwards in the center. If the center is supposed to be higher (as it is in the Elite series with the torsion axles), then maybe it was assembled incorrectly at the factory, or has rotated in the spring mounts.

Normally trailer tires are either perpendicular to the road (straight axle), or slightly tilted outwards at the top (unloaded trailer, torsion axle). When the load is applied, the flex in the axle and trailer frame results in the loaded tires being at right angles to the road.

+1

Question

Thanks Guys and Billy ( rx951) I will check to see if the wheels are towed out or the camber is leaned at the top. I have desided it,s time to get to the bottom of the problem, These tires also seem to be dipping out and have waves starting on the tread on the inside where the wear is also. I tend to pull the trailer on the interstate a lot at 75+ mph. these are the wide tires on 8" wheels also. Any advise is welcome, Tommy Jordan

+1
    The smaller 8" pontoon type wheels spin at a higher RPM vs a 12 or 13" wheel combo. They may be experiencing some harmonic bounce too at the higher RPM and causing "cupping" on the tires. YEs, check the camber, alignment with a tape meaure and toe in/out. Make sure the frame is not bent anywhere also.

I personally would go to a 13" tire wheel combination. Radial also.

My trailer had the option of 8" Biasply or the 12 biaply or 13" radials. I chose the 13 radials. Easier to find if I have a flat, rides better too. and larger diameter to allow me to go faster [slower rotation] vs. the smaller sizes.

Do those checks K447 mentioned also

+1

Question

I had the 12" tires but replaced them with the 8" tires I like for the trailer to sit low to ground plus its easy to load ski from water at shallow water aeras. I have seen some trailer axels bowed up in the center some what. I bet this is to compensate for load to make the camber correct when trailer is loaded. what do you think? Tommy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    I had the 12" tires but replaced them with the 8" tires I like for the trailer to sit low to ground plus its easy to load ski from water at shallow water aeras. I have seen some trailer axels bowed up in the center some what. I bet this is to compensate for load to make the camber correct when trailer is loaded. what do you think? Tommy
    yes, my trailer has a slight bow "up" in the center of the axle. I thought it was a faulty axle, but the trailer company said it is there for a reason.

CAMBER: Axles are cambered or 'road set' so there is a bow until weight is put on the axle. All cambered axles should be mounted with the center bow up.

+1
    have you put a jack under the trailer to check if the wheel bearings are tight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information