Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

787 or 951 into 96 xp hull

Hi all,

I have been reading a lot on this forum and have learned tons! Thanks for all your post.

Ok, so I have a winter project I wanted to do this year. I got a 96 xp hull only (no motor elec. or pump) for free. I wanted this hull because of how great i have heard it is to ride.

I can not decide if i want to do the 951 swap (i have seen a lot of posts) or just get a 787 and do some small modifications to it. I am always up for doing something different and custom to make a ski faster.

Overall i would like to stay reliable and also do this build for around $1500. I am doing all the work myself and want to do a complete rebuild of the motor (bore ect.) either way.

What are your guys thoughts on this, what is the hardest part about a 950 swap? What problems will i have? General thoughts?

Thanks a lot for the help.
    Dean

ps. A little background, i have rebuild a couple sea doos and also own another one so i have been around them a little bit.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw3 View Post

Hi all,

I have been reading a lot on this forum and have learned tons! Thanks for all your post.

Ok, so I have a winter project I wanted to do this year. I got a 96 xp hull only (no motor elec. or pump) for free. I wanted this hull because of how great i have heard it is to ride.

I can not decide if i want to do the 951 swap (i have seen a lot of posts) or just get a 787 and do some small modifications to it. I am always up for doing something different and custom to make a ski faster.

Overall i would like to stay reliable and also do this build for around $1500. I am doing all the work myself and want to do a complete rebuild of the motor (bore ect.) either way.

What are your guys thoughts on this, what is the hardest part about a 950 swap? What problems will i have? General thoughts?

Dean

ps. A little background, i have rebuild a couple sea doos and also own another one so i have been around them a little bit.
    The hardest part of a 951 swap is going to be glassing in the new motor mounts, followed by clearancing the hull for the pipe.

+1
    welcome to the forum Dean

thanks for the post and welcome.

If i remember, isn't there only one mount to glass to the hull? Also will a performace pipe take care the clearance issures of the stock pipe in this hull.

is the performace of this 950 motor worth the extra cost and hassle to do the conversion compared to just putting in the stock 787? Thought?

I need something to push me over the edge one way or the other..

thanks,
    dean

+1

951 in a 96 XP

Can anyone with a 951 in a 96 XP hull tell us what the performance jump is from a 782/787?

My 782 does 65mph, but I too thought about doing a 951 since it would be easier then stroking my old rave motor.

So is 70 mph possible? What about acceleration? Is it as good as the old rave 782?

Hi all,

Dean

steach has a race motor for that ski for 1100 bucks. I strongly suggest you pick it up. For what you want, it will suit you well. Steach is a reputable guy. Ive done business with him before and vouch for him 100%.
    The motor is super clean. Search his posts and youll find it.

Quote Originally Posted by alostaunau View Post
    Can anyone with a 951 in a 96 XP hull tell us what the performance jump is from a 782/787?

My 782 does 65mph, but I too thought about doing a 951 since it would be easier then stroking my old rave motor.

So is 70 mph possible? What about acceleration? Is it as good as the old rave 782?
    Since I have never ridden a 951 X4 only read what others have written about them here is what I knwo

Q1: Significant power jump

Q2: 65-70 mph range is what I hear about the top on 951 projects so far.

Q3: yes, better, and not quite as reliable/bulletproof. The 951 can and is likely to require a engine rebuild after water ingestion where the 782s will take ingestion with little trouble.

thanks for the links.

I don't really want to run a race motor because i want to run higher octane and i would like it to be more reliable. This is why i wanted to go to the 951.

Does anyone know about how to solve the exhaust pipe not fitting (ie using an aftermarket or do you have to grind?)

Is the 951 pump a direct fit?

Is the 951 really not worth it?

is this not a common swap, i thought it would be?

thanks a lot
    Dean

thanks for the links.

I don't really want to run a race motor because i want to run higher octane and i would like it to be more reliable. This is why i wanted to go to the 951.

Does anyone know about how to solve the exhaust pipe not fitting (ie using an aftermarket or do you have to grind?)

Is the 951 pump a direct fit?

Is the 951 really not worth it?

is this not a common swap, i thought it would be?

thanks a lot
    Dean
    951 pump is not a direct fit to this hull. However a Skat 148mm pump is(I think they call it a E pump but I'm not sure)

Only you can tell if the swap is worth it, and that depends on how much you pay for all the accessories needed to run the 951 in this hull(Complete motor with electronics)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information