Going with Honda...

Hi Guys. I am thinking about making the switch and buying a new R12X. My problem is how big that thing is. I am going from a Sea Doo XPL and GSXL which both are very playful and quick to boot. I have seen guys kick those R12's around pretty good but I was wondering what you guy's think. Will I still be able to play a bit and spin around pretty fast. I am pretty sure the reliability will be far better. Are there any obvious handling characteristics to these ski's? Anything that "needs" to be done. Just looking for some good info for a potential buyer, thanks!

+1
    I bought a left over 05 R-12x in June 07, I've put a lil over 100 hours so far with no problems... I love it. It's not the fastest, but everyone that's ridden it or on it always says, wow that's pretty fast. The fuel consumption is great and it's quiet, handles pretty well and I feel it's pretty playful for weighing so much. If you lake is rough it can cavitate pretty well... I think I'm going to do the Solas impellor this winter, it's supposed to make a BIG difference, the stock prop cavitates out of the hole pretty bad. It is a great cruiser at about 50ish, it only burns 6 to 7 gallons per hour at that speed, so a tank lasts a long time unless you are balls to the wall. Overall I'm very happy with it.

That's good info, thanks. We river ride so it's pretty smooth there. The R12X is about 1.5 foot longer than what I ride now. I need to test ride one I guess.

+1
    I have a friend that put over 300 hours on his Honda with not a single problem. He ran it every year at Mudbug too in the radar runs. I wanna say it was in the 62/63 range.

+1
    Honda makes a great boat!!!!

My friends have over 250 hours of ruff use on their 2 and 3 seaters without a problem or complaint. Maybe not the fastest out there but certianly the most dependable!

+1
    For what you can get a left over Honda for... I think most people are nuts for buying a new ski... unless it's a left over Honda!

Seriously though, I think the only other ski's I would have bought new are the Kawa 15F (they dropped in price) or the F-12x.

As I've said I love my Honda, the fit and finish is top notch.

So what about playfulness? Can you spin 'em around okay and catch some air?

+1
    The R-12x has kind of a beach ball hull design, when you are one up with the stock sponsons I can get it to spin... or get it to dig in and carve... it is a very playful 4-stroke (if I'm not mistaken one of the lightest ones that was made)...

As I said the prop kinda hacks me off sometime, getting your timing right so the turbo boosts when popping off a wake can be challenging... but I really think switching to a solas or skat to give it a little more grunt down low would make decent wake jumper.

It will jump, it doesn't take much to get it fully airborne... not like a good old 96XP but it's not a barge.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I went to the Honda shop and they don't have have any new old ones, darnit. There were a couple on Ebay but they are so far away and the guys don't seem to want to cooperate on shipping.

+1
    This time of year... and the way the market is... get a price off of ebay and call your local dealers and see if they can round one up... you'd be suprized what a sales person will do!

I think Honda has been pretty proficient in moving their left overs though, I haven't seen as many for sale lately...

Thread Information