Jug Inspector

750 engine shipping question..

Has anyone shipped or had shipped to them an SL series 750? I have to ship one about 875 miles, and want to get an idea of what it will cost me before I tear the ski apart... I really don't want to rip the engine out, build a crate, get a quote, and have this guy bail because it's too expensive.

Anyone?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

How to pack an engine for shipping.

Are you shipping the long block engine, or also the exhaust, intake+carbs and other stuff bolted onto the engine?

For just the core engine, one method is to wrap the engine in a strong plastic bag (heavy duty garbage bag works well). Next, find a corrugated cardboard box large enough to hold the engine, plus some air space on every side.
    Edit: Rubbermaid type containers will also work for this.

Cut a slab of hard foam (Styrofoam or similar,1 or 1.5" thick), and place it in the bottom of the box. Put a piece of plywood under the foam for more strength, if you prefer.

Position an empty strong garbage bag in the bottom of the box, spread out to cover the bottom, with the bag opening brought up and out one corner.

Purchase a can or three of expanding foam. The type that expands to three times is better than the 'minimal expanding' type.

Seal the tube from the can to the garbage bag opening (with the garbage bag purged of excess air), and partially fill the bag with foam. If the foam is the type that requires moisture to cure (read the label), then mist some water into the bag before the foam. Remove the tube, and tie off the bag opening.

Set the engine down on its side in the box, on top of the bag of wet foam. The foam in the bag will conform to the shape of the engine. Let the engine sit in the foam, until the foam has set, or partially set at least.

Now take another bag, place it on top of the engine in the box. Put another foam slab on top. Close the box, and again partially fill the bag with expanding foam. Seal that bag, and tuck the end inside the box.

The foam will now harden, and create a form fitting support for the engine on all sides. If you did it right, the space inside the box will be filled with foam and engine, with almost no air space remaining.

Tape the box securely, and prepare it for shipping.

This packing method doesn't add much weight or size, it holds the engine in place securely, and unpacking is easy, since the foam is sealed inside the bags.

The first time you do this, you may have to re-do the bag filling until you get a feel for how much foam it takes.
    Last edited by K447; 10-12-2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Rubbermaid option

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibreakstuff View Post
    Has anyone shipped or had shipped to them an SL series 750? I have to ship one about 875 miles, and want to get an idea of what it will cost me before I tear the ski apart... I really don't want to rip the engine out, build a crate, get a quote, and have this guy bail because it's too expensive.

Anyone?
    I had a full longblock 785(no exh. manifolds) shipped to me from chicago to south of miami for ----hold your hat on tight-----85 bucks yup thats it.
    Bob (785lugs)bolted to a piece of wood the size of a rubbermaid box and i think just wrapped it with cardboard,, i think that was it--lugs will chime in i'm shure
    ups ground frieght--worked well and safe
    mattman

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I've used UPS before and had one sent to me from Cali. Both around $100

The tupperware trick works well. Pack the hell out of it and tape it up good.

Shipping cost

Just shipped a 1050 shortblock (about 95 lbs with foam packing / garbage bag method) 2000+ miles across the country for 85 bucks with FedEx. They were the cheapest. Still, 85 bucks shipping is quite a bit!

+1
    Should be no more then 100.00 I usaully ship the carbs and manifolds separitly "SP" .

Jug Inspector
    OK, just what I needed to know. Thanks a buch guys!

Thread Information