Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

I assume rave valves should hold vaccum?

I put my $800 98 gtx-rfi in the water yesterday for the first time, and just as the previous owner had said, it wouldn't run over 3500 rpm.

As I had installed a replacement mpem ( long story) the computer isn't a prime suspect(yet)

All the sensors ohmed out as indicated in the manual, so I turned to the rave vaves ( this was a rebuilt SBT motor btw with no hours to speak of, sinc after the engine was repalced, the local doo shop couldn't get it to run correctly, hence the low ball sale)), valves were reasonably clean, but the vac ports on them don't seem to hold vaccum, I would assume they would. The feel like all the other rave valves I've ever cleaned and the diaphrams appear to be late model ( greenish).

Springs are in place and no apparent holes.

can somebody confirm/deny that a suck.blow on the valve inlet should maintain the valve position. I never bothered to try this, as all the other raves I've cleaned were just routine mainenance on otherwise good running skis.

This seems like the simple explanation to the poor running of this motor.

I'd check the fuel pressure but for reasons unknown, seadoo didn't put a check valve on the injector line, so I'd have to invest in a setup to check the fuel pump output, but My best swag is the raves.

Once the wind dies down here, I'll take her out again sans caps and springs to see if I can get her up on plane.

Gives me a chance to pull the pump and change the oil anyhow.

so folks, what say you?

On another board, when rave valves don't open you still see up to 6500 rpms; when they open you should see 6900 rpms... Ron

+1

well, there are some 'other " problems now....

found the section on raves in the manual ( multi part manual didn't reveal the section, It's in teh air intake area actually), but that's not all that's gone wrong today..have to change the name of this jetski shortly.

first and worst..water detected leaking from the base gasket, I'll check the head bolt torque after the engine is stone cold in the morning.

the rectifier took a dump today ( it was a new one from wsm) and the 12v low/maint lamp started flashing. changed it out, so it looks like the battery is charging, but the maint indicator is still blinking ( I assume this is why the beeper was disconnected on this ski)

the rave valve pressure line check valve was bad..no pressure going into the line, the old blow /suck test confirmed that issue, but a cheap part so no love lost there.

I've got a bunch of winterizing jobs this week, so I shoved the trailer into the back the shop for now.

I'll get the check valve in and test the soleniod..maybe pull the fuel pump out to check the screen, but it's got to be something stupid enough for an _authorized shop_ to miss.

Still going to pull the pump to make sure it's spinng well, for all I know, the pump bearing area siezed, that would be a pretty sweet soltuion to this problem. Have to work out something to get a fuel pressure gauge on the line too , without setting myself on fire.

in the meantime I gotta get a wetsuit, the lake is cooling off fast, it was down to 38 here last night, so no doubt it's gonna be c-o-l-d in there next week.

Never ASSUME it will make an ASS of U and ME............

get it ASS U ME ?!

hahahhahahahahahhahahahahaha

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrry !

+1

thanks for that one..never saw it before!

gee, that was so witty and creative...

anybody got some tips on injector troubleshooting? I'll try some sea-foam, as that seems to be the snake oil of choice.

did the ole one-two today and the rear cylinder isn't running too good..this may well be the problem withthis ski.

also, I swapped in the old computer today..the hour meter remains the same..I was under the impression that the hour meter data came from the mpem..now it looks like it's stored in the meter itself?

Found the rear pisser had a dead worm blocking it, cleared that out and gave all the wiring one more go-around.

if and when my riva order shows up and I can replace the rave check valve, back in the water she goes for an afternoon of idling around the no wake zone waiting for the seafoam to do it's stuff.

this ski did sit with bad gas in it for a while, but this was the problem that nobody could cure, which made this ski a lost child and a deal of sorts ( well it's a deal only if I can fix it!)

+1

ten days later....

repalced the rave check valve and the fuel filter sock ( looked funky )..got the ski in the water again and whamo actually got up on plane and was styling at about 50 for about a minute..then the 12v low light came on and the ski stalled.

silly me..didn't tighten the postive battery cable down.

well after a nice swim to shore ( 72 water 79 air), I still couldn't get it to start, so a half mile walk to get the truck and back to the shop.

turns out that I missed an important fact, a replacement mpem needs to have the tps setup..so the replacement computer was pulled and the original one put back in.

had the injectors off, the seemed to spray fuel ok, so they went back in. I did buy some used injectors and a fuel rail, but they were so rusty I opted to pass putting them in right now. I'll be using the fuel rail to make an adapter for my pressure guage next.

but I suspect with a hot battery, I'll be in business, if not then perhaps the flywheel wasn't installed correctly and the key has sheared off.

found the soruce of the water leak ( i think), looks like the exhaust manifold is cracked.

and last but not least that pesky MAINT light...my latest guess ( at least till I get to a dealer) is that the idle speed was too low beacause of the restricted fuel supply, when I ran the ski after putting the fuel sock on...no maint lamp..did see it in the water after the battery cableloosened up.

these injected skis are a pain due to the required guesswork, but I'll make the trip to the dealer at somepoint to get some keys made so I'll get a code read as part of the deal.

but at least I got 50 out of her today, even if for a minue.

lake was as smooth as glass today, and nobody on it cept for me and a couple of sailboats.

on the older ski's the hours are stored in the guage and the MPEM, all ski's didn't have a gauge that showed the hours back then. to your original question, the rave's won't hold a vaccuum even when the parts are all new. btw, you have the most problem ridden ski that sea doo ever built, it will nickel and dime you to death, pass it on if you get the chance.

I have to totally disagree on that one the RFI's in general give very few problems,now the DI's are a whole different story.

my statement was not directed to RFI's in general, but the '98 model in particular.

+1

wasn't such the deal...

@800 ( even at 1/3 of book low retail) but I had to start somewhere..the hull had been beached so many times the gel coat is all worn off, but you can't have too many skis around here. Picked up a nice front seat for $50 and outside of that and a battery, doesn't seem to need much more then some general troubleshooting. I got stuck buying anmpem as the owner took a couple of months to find the original key, but it worked out OK. I got the mpem for a really good price and I'll make it all back on a resale.

The engine was replaced already with an sbt rebuild. from what I've read the 951 di is the red-headed stepchild. first gen anything always has problems, so I'll take the sale advice under advisement. Still want to hold onto it for a season or two.

I need a second ski to back me up when I'm water testing customer work, and my wife is itching to join me on the lake.

It'll suffice until I can find a sweeter deal, and a problem riddent ski is good training for me. I've been out of the ski biz since 1990 and learned alot about current seadoo systems working on this one.

thanks for the info on the hours meter, as the replacement mpem I installed showed the same exact hours, so I can assume that 172 is the real hull time ( hours stoed in the meter, not read from the mpem.. I suspect it's spun the flywheel during yesterdays outing. I'm hoping a freshly charged battery will start her tomorrow. That might explain all of the proppblems the previous owner had (wouldn't plane at all)

really not too much to go wrong, but I'll be going with a carbed model for my next buy. Having to bend over at a dealer to get error codes isn't for me.

Like to hear from other gtx-rfi owners on the ups and downs for this model, since there isn't all that much info on it, and with a three character limit on seraches, hard to find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information