Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Ecu & Premium Fuel ?

I bought my ultra in the UK but is a US model import .I was speaking to a ski mechanic and he said i would have trouble with it as the uk fuel is higher octane and the ecu is set to run on lower ie US standard .
    Before he had mentioned this i had filled up on our premium fuel ie 95-97 RON and the ski ran crap and then the super charger belt came off and shredded to bits.

I still have 3/4 tank of this left in and going to get the belt fixed this week
    does anyone think the mechanic could be right and i should ditch the super unleaded out of it ,or is it just coinsidence and related to belt tension? (even though belt tension should have just been checked by dealer on my 10hr service!)

If he is right would the timing mod help ?as i was going to do this anyway

It needs 91 octane MINIMUM, but really runs best on 93. I run (added to 91 or 92 octane) 93-94 octane, so no worries..and the stock ECU cannot be modded. Not sure what happened in your case.

Jacking up the timing will allow you to run higher octane. There are several engine mods that will help. Safest thing to do is run lowest octane available there. What is lowest available?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bamatech View Post
    Jacking up the timing will allow you to run higher octane. There are several engine mods that will help. Safest thing to do is run lowest octane available there. What is lowest available?

standard is 93... i think

Run that. It is perfect for stock charged skis. May wanna run that 97 in the mower...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bamatech View Post
    Run that. It is perfect for stock charged skis. May wanna run that 97 in the mower...

wow what a waste! it costs nearly £100 to fill an ultra tank over here, and standard fuel isn't much cheaper! Still cheaper than a new motor i guess.. thanks do you reckon i could run on it with the timing mod done then?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsta View Post
    I bought my ultra in the UK but is a US model import .I was speaking to a ski mechanic and he said i would have trouble with it as the uk fuel is higher octane and the ecu is set to run on lower ie US standard .
    Before he had mentioned this i had filled up on our premium fuel ie 95-97 RON and the ski ran crap and then the super charger belt came off and shredded to bits.

I still have 3/4 tank of this left in and going to get the belt fixed this week
    does anyone think the mechanic could be right and i should ditch the super unleaded out of it ,or is it just coinsidence and related to belt tension? (even though belt tension should have just been checked by dealer on my 10hr service!)

If he is right would the timing mod help ?as i was going to do this anyway
    your mechanic is full of himself the octane will not hurt and for that matter cause the s/c belt to shred. he is just making excusses. keep the fuel it will run alot cleaner on that octane we use same in australia with no issues. did you have the spark plug recall done as if it was running rough this could be your problem.

I've run several tanks of 110 and am at over 60 hrs with zero problems. BTW, with a stock ECU the 110 does NADA!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    your mechanic is full of himself the octane will not hurt and for that matter cause the s/c belt to shred. he is just making excusses. keep the fuel it will run alot cleaner on that octane we use same in australia with no issues. did you have the spark plug recall done as if it was running rough this could be your problem.

I thought he might have been as he's a kawasaki uk main dealer and they don't like losing out on sales to people buying imports so they tend to lay it on a bit thick when you tell them its an imported ski.
    New plugs are coming with the belt .Didn't know there was a recall on them though. my rpms were a bit low for a stock ski (7400),again could have been belt tension but i wanna get this sorted before i start adding mods so ordered new plugs to be sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsta View Post
    standard is 93... i think
    Do not put that in your ski. The octane is to low. Use the
    fuel you have been using, especially if you are going to mess with timing.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information