Thread: Stabilizing gas

Stabilizing gas

hey guys,

I have a 96 xp in my garage, i dont have a trailer and it needs to get winterized. How do i go about running stabalized gas through the system without taking it out for a ride because thats kind of impossible

+1
    you can add proper amount of stabil to the tank, 1 oz per 2 gallons or whatever the bottle says. then top off the tank with fresh gas to properly mix in the stabil. add enough stabil for the whole tank. tank is better full anyways.
    remove the plastic cover that covers the PTO driveshaft area, use a cup to splash water ontop the carbon seal. do that every 30 sec while the ski is running.
    then back the ski onto the driveway, hook up a garden hose and do a normal flush procedure. (dont forget to pinch the hose inside the hull to force more water up into the engine, if you dont know what i am talking about ask!!!)
    just keep a 5 gal bucket with water so you can splash the carbon ring every 30 sec.
    then run the ski for 2-3 minutes. blip the throttle lightly, rev up lightly. just get fuel to pass into the carbs fully that stabil gets into the whole system. when warmed up a few bigger throttle blips wont hurt either, get fuel into the high speed jets too.
    KEEP SPLASHING THE CARBON RING
    then shut off the water, blip throttle afew more times to blow out excess water, then shut off ski.
    now pump a few gallons of antifreeze thru the flush port, use pinched hose again to make sure antifreeze goes into engine completely. of course engine will be runnig during flushing!!
    after antifreeze flush is done , run the engine with no flushing, for 30 sec, and spray fogging oil into the carbs or airbox. fog it until it stalls, if it wont stall, fog it until it almost stalls then shut off the engine.
    remove spark plugs, add 10 sec of fogging oil to each cylinder. then crank over for 5 sec with plugs out!! remember to ground the plug wires!!!
    put plugs back in and reattach plug wires.
    get teh hull as dry as possible and spray the whole inside engine compartment, eelctrical boxes engine, etc with WD40, or your favorite protectant
    put back in garage with seat loose and cover on so it can ventilate and stay nice and dry for the winter

+1
    if you cant move the ski at all, you can run for about 1 minute without the hose, not much water will come out of the exhaust.
    but keep it to a minute cuz it will overheat if you go too much longer. feel the block and the exhaust as you are running, once they feel warm to hot. stop.
    try to get a few throttle bursts in to suck the gas thru all teh circuits of teh carbs.
    if you have to wait 1 hour and repeat for a minute again, thats fine.
    at least wet the carbon ring a little while running, even 1/2 a cup every 30 sec would be fine, you just dont want it to overheat from friction.
    you can run the ski without the hose, wont hurt anything else, just beware of overheating.
    it does not take long to circulate the stabilized gas thru the fuel system. in reality the fuel pump moves alot of fuel, most of it overflows thru the fuel return line into the tank. you get new fuel very quickly.

+1
    I used to use STABIL in my two strokes, good stuff...

i know of two ways.

one is to add some stabil right into the fuel filter/water seperator and run it like that or...........

you can mix up a gallon of gas, oil and stabil, get about a 3 foot fuel line and remove your supply line to your carbs and replace it with the 3 foot piece and stick the end into the gallon of mix and run it.

i use stabil sometimes but there are lots of other good brands too. i use pfc200 in my shop on everything, it will stabilize fuel for two years and has a cleaner in it to remove carbon in two strokes. keeps raves really clean. maxima, polaris, yamaha and all major companies make some pretty good stuff to. another favorite is briggs and stratton brand. it stabilizes fuel for two years as well and can be found just about anywhere like walmart.

+1
    there is a "blue" stabil now that is specifically for marine applications, i cant recall what is special about it, bur i am using it this year in my skis and boat.

+1
    where is best place to keep the carbon ring wet? where do i access it from?

Thread Information