Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shaft zert fitting

Hi All,
    My first post!
    Could someone please tell me where the zirk fitting is to lube my shafts, I own a 2003 F12X and a 2004 R12X.
    Thanks

Yeah I'm a coucher, and proud of it! ticketplease's Avatar
    Welcome! On your F model, take off both seats, remove the plastic piece holding the TOOL kit and the fire extinguisher. It is under that.
    On your R model. Lift off the seat. Take off the black plastic piece behind the seat, take off the plastic piece holding the TOOL kit. It is mounted to the exhaust pipe. Put a couple of pumps in every 10 hours as per your manual.
    Again, Welcome and enjoy your Honda!

My first post, too! And I can't find the "Zerk" fitting mentioned ANYWHERE in the owner's manual. Can someone please post a picture of it? And does it just need some CRC 6-56 sprayed on it & that's it?

+1
    welcome to the forum miamimark

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    welcome to the forum miamimark
    Thanks man, appreciate it. Now I'm just trying to learn what I can about how to take care of me & my girl's skis.

The fitting is in different places depending on which machine you have.

On my F-12X it's attached to the inside of the tow fitting directly under the rear seat. To access it, you must remove the seats and remove the rear tray that contains the air intake, tools and fire-extinguisher pocket. Looking at the inside rear of the machine, you'll see where the tow fitting bolts through the hull, the grease fitting is there with a hose going down to the driveshaft.

BTW, the rest of the world calls these fittings "grease nipples"... no idea who 'zerk' is

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

Smile The origin of "zerk" fitting

maybe called grease fittings in the rest of the world...but us old timers call em zerk..here's why...

"The patent for the zerk fitting was granted to Oscar Zerk in January 1929"-wikipedia

Zerk is the type of grease fitting where the head of the hose locks onto the fitting. There are other types of fitting in use..and adpters for grease guns to use them. In some application you have to use a flexible hose to reach the fitting, zerk fittings allow tou operate a grease gun using both hands, not having to hold the gun on the fitting while trying to pump it.

takethe older tigerhsarks for example, they have grease fittings on the driveline beraings, but not the zerk type. I had to buy a pressure tip extension for my grease gun to service them, messy too.

Zerk types are most common, in over 99% of current applications where you can actually shoot some grease in.

-brought to you by the old farts who still turn wrneches for fun and profit network.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    maybe called grease fittings in the rest of the world...but us old timers call em zerk..here's why...

"The patent for the zerk fitting was granted to Oscar Zerk in January 1929"-wikipedia

Zerk is the type of grease fitting where the head of the hose locks onto the fitting. There are other types of fitting in use..and adpters for grease guns to use them. In some application you have to use a flexible hose to reach the fitting, zerk fittings allow tou operate a grease gun using both hands, not having to hold the gun on the fitting while trying to pump it.

takethe older tigerhsarks for example, they have grease fittings on the driveline beraings, but not the zerk type. I had to buy a pressure tip extension for my grease gun to service them, messy too.

Zerk types are most common, in over 99% of current applications where you can actually shoot some grease in.

-brought to you by the old farts who still turn wrneches for fun and profit network.
    Any idea where the zerk fitting(s) are on the 2005 Honda R-12x?

2005 F-12X G'Scape
    Here is a link to an older thread that has very good pictures. Good Luck!
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30401

Quote Originally Posted by Desty View Post
    BTW, the rest of the world calls these fittings "grease nipples"... no idea who 'zerk' is

agreed! =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information